Menu

Can someone compare TOG & Biblioplan?

Frontier Mom

I'm sure this has been discussed but I am trying to decide before TOG goes up. I am specifically looking at Renaissance and Reformation which is Year 2 of Biblioplan, not sure if this is TOG 2.

The ages of my dc's are below. Can someone help me make a decision as I am confusing myself?

Biblioplan has a 1 page chart for each week. It charts what pages you need to read in each spine, what book each child is reading and how far, suggested map & timeline work, and a suggested writing topic for grammar and logic stage children. Biblioplan also schedules a family read aloud. If you pick up the high school suppliment it will suggest history chapters and great books to read that coordinate with the younger children's studies. My children spend around 2-4 hours a week on history and literature.

Tapestry of Grace has around 50 pages of material for each week. The reading load is heavier and writing topics are assigned by level (there are 12). There is map work and time line work as well as suggested projects for the children. TOG also includes fine art. It has worksheets for the children, discussion questions for 7th grade and up, and summary sheets for the parents to read. My friend, who uses TOG, says her family spends 2-3 hours a day on TOG. TOG does include most subjects within it. :)

Looks like I will be OK for 3 and 4 if I saw the right schedule. I need 3 for 2009 and 4 for 2010.

You should be fine. They plan to have the first quarter of year 3 ready by this fall, then release each unit as the year progresses, so that unit 4 should be done by about Feb of 2009. Then same with year 4, so it should be done roughly Feb of 2010.

Now I am right behind the redesign starting Year 3. We are in week 3. Story of my life! :rolleyes:

Oh! And congrats!

Heather

My friend, who uses TOG, says her family spends 2-3 hours a day on TOG. TOG does include most subjects within it. :)

No way! We only spend about 30 mins a day, 4 days a week. Of course I have 2 LG and 1 UG, but that seems like a lot of time.

Heather

I am coffeegal's friend. We use TOG for UG and Dialectic. In order to do more than just the basics it is easily 2 hours a day. We read for 1-2 hours most days plus discussion. The kids do geography one day a week. We do worksheets from TOG one day or more a week. We try to do People, Vocabulary, etc for a short time each week. Writing is an additional chunk of time. One of the assignments for 5th grade is an 8 page typed biography, not counting graphics. Now this is done over many weeks but the research, writing, and typing takes time. In fact, we switched to a simpler writing program for now. Any time we do the hands on projects or lapbooks, we gain many more hours per week. And when we do unit celebrations that is MORE hours per week. We do not do TOG in total... that would take us 3-5 hours per day, but we are not supposed to do it all. And we do chop it down to just the basics when life so demands. We can do just the bare bones in less than an hour a day, but the richness for us comes when we invest the extra time in the in depth resources and projects. Lower Grammar is less involved and as we move into the higher levels we will do even less hands on projects. So I don't expect time to go up too dramatically.

I am a huge fan of TOG, don't get me wrong. Because it includes history, church history, literature, writing, geography, art, etc it is not much time really. If you did all those subjects seperately it would all add up to at least that much time. And with TOG my children are learning, understanding, and loving it too!

That is probably a big reason for the difference. My oldest is still UG, and even then she works well independently so she does lit, president cards, colony cards, timeline, writing and lit worksheets pretty much on her own while I work with one of the other kids on their basics. I just have to review her work and tell her what/if anything needs revised.

Heather