Menu

Anyone use Show Me Thy Ways by Gertrude Hoeksema?

Gailmegan

Tell me about it. I've been occasionally attracted to this as well, but there's just nada. (Actually, it was Suffer Little Children that caught my interest.) Christian Book Distributors has some of her stuff, with a table of contents and 1-page samples available, but there don't seem to be any reviews there, either. Covenant Protestant Reformed Church in Ireland has a little more information (where you learn that Mary Pride likes it, apparently). But that's pretty much all I can find. It's frustrating!

Oh, wait, there's a pretty substantial sample (in .pdf) available at Covenant Home Curriculum. Does that help at all?

And, anyone who's used this, let me add my requests to know more. I've gone with God's Great Covenant for next year (and probably third grade as well), but I still am interested in this resource.

Ugh. I'm just going in circles over Bible choices.

I bought the first Suffer the Children for $0.50 a few years ago at a used book sale. It's solid and thorough, but it really didn't show Christ in the OT as extensively as I wanted it to.

I need something for my 10 year old to use as a guideline since he's really ready to start reading the Bible himself, with some encouragement. I think I'm just too picky.

Thanks for the links. From this one sample it looks like Christ is brought into the OT, but that's kind of a no-brainer wrt Melchizedek. I'd love to see more.

But now you've tempted me with the CAP study. Amazon didn't have samples, but I'm going to look for some.

Is he ready for a solid survey? My women's Bible Study at church uses a Middle School text as a spine for our studies (but don't let that scare you! It really is on a younger level than adults). It is by a pastor, Francis Breisch. There's an OT Survey: The Kingdom of God and a NT Survey: The Ministry of Christ. I think both are available through Christian Liberty Press and Exodus Books seems to have copies, too. I'm planning on using them for our Logic Stage studies.

We're using Covenantal Catechism (Year 1), and loving it. Also available through Exodus, there are 6 levels of this curriculum, I'd imagine it would work well on an independent level for older students.

I've heard of the curr you're questioning, but don't know anything about it, sorry.

Thanks for the input.

I actually have the Breisch OT book. Your logic stage children must be really advanced. Maybe I could use it as a guide if I were teaching, but I'm actually looking for something he can use on his own, something very simple that gets him to read the Bible thoughtfully by himself. We have done all the children's Bibles. We have done theology and catechism repeatedly. He has shown signs that he is ready to take ownership of his Bible study, but I need a gentle introduction for him. I do like the looks of the Hoeksema books, but I really want to see if she carries the Christ-centered focus through all the lessons.

We just purchased Long Story Short for our after-dinner family devotions, so I will have him reading the daily Bible passage to himself each morning in preparation. Maybe that will be enough for now, I was just hoping for something a little more independent.