Menu

Spelling for a natural speller- switching from McRuffy LA

parias1126

I have used McRuffy LA for my DS (7) for K and 1st. He has become a pretty efficient reader and I'm not sure he really needs to continue with McRuffy 2nd (even though we have it on the shelf already). He also takes hours to finish one page of McRuffy which is so frustrating!

He looked over GWG and WWW tonight and did a couple lessons in each. I was amazed at how quickly he finished the lessons. I will probably also add in FLL2.

My problem is spelling. I'm stuck on what to use. I want something that is phonics based for a natural speller. Also something that can get done quickly and is not a ton of "busy work" that will take my distractible boy 2 hours to complete.

You're already using R&S Spelling for your older one. Do you think that would work for the younger one? It would be quick and easy and rules based.

Spelling Workout is another option in that arena.

You could also do something like Spelling Wisdom or Simply Spelling, which are dictation-based. Spelling Wisdom doesn't go over the rules at all. Simply Spelling has little exercises to do with the dictation each day that involve rules and syllabication. It's a $10 download (for grades 3-12, IIRC), so cheap. I haven't used either of these though.

Also, does he even need a spelling program? If he's a natural speller, you could probably just go over words that get misspelled in his writing. Just an idea.