Menu

Free Sourdough Cookbook

Hunter

Here is a free sourdough cookbook. Sourdough is a fantastic way to teach about yeasts and bacteria, when teaching history.

http://www.northwestsourdough.com/discovering/

My youngest became a great little bread baker as a child and enjoyed bringing the bread to the entended family holidays, and my older son made such good bread for his college nutrition class that his teacher accused him of lying about the ingredients.

I'd like to point out that developing a sourdough culture really isn't that hard.

I use the "Five Minutes a Day" recipes, mostly from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, and while these recipes do use yeast, the breads also develop a sourdough culture if they're kept in the fridge long enough. The authors of the books even talk about how to incorporate some of that sourdough flavor into your new loaf without the waiting. (Don't clean your container between batches and/or use the remainder of your old loaf as a pate fermentee, if you're curious.)

I tried doing straight sourdough years ago, and it was an utter flop. That poor starter--I never remembered it. Now that I understand sourdough a bit better, I might be willing to try it again. After all, I've got a quarter of a batch of whole wheat olive oil dough in my refrigerator--and it's already got a sourdough culture!