Menu

How do I know if my son has a real problem with handwriting?

Abbeygurl4

He is 12 and handwriting has always been a chore for him. I bought "Classically Cursive" from VP for him and he can trace it and then copy it perfectly underneath. So perfect that I can barely tell which one is the copy. BUT .... he an only COPY cursive handwriting. If I just tell him to write something in cursive he can't do it. He can't remember what the letters look like, his lower case "b" looks like an "f", his "w" has too many dips. He can look at anything and copy it perfectly , he can draw and print but he can NOT write in cursive if he doesn't have a model to copy. Should I just give up on cursive? I just don't know what to do :confused:. Can anyone help?

Hi there, I just popped onto this board and saw your post, thought I'd chime in. If he's "using too much battery" to physically write, then there is a problem. That's the easy part. The harder part is figuring out exactly what the problem is. You could do testing with a professional and get some specific information on areas of strength and weakness. You could try occupational therapy, you could go the vision/developmental optometrist route, you could try the neurodevelopmental approach (see Linda Kane or Dianne Craft), and there are probably many other possible roads to go down. Maybe try cross-posting onto the special needs board? I have an almost 13yo ds who has always had trouble with handwriting, and I have neglected to get him any testing or help until now (I'm going to do neurodevelopment). All I know is that writing is more stenuous for him than it should be. It has affected curriculum areas; i.e., I have not done much writing instruction b/c the physical act of writing drains him.

You mention that your ds can't remember what the letters look like, that's a red flag to me (unless he hasn't had that much practice -- daily practice is important to cement it in, and also maybe if you required cursive in his daily work, that would force him to learn it, IF there is no other reason why he doesn't remember what the letters look like).

You also mention he needs a model to copy. Do you have an alphabet strip you can put up somewhere to give him that model 00 a big one on the wall or a small one on the table or desk? I am of the philosophy that says give him the model as long as he needs it.

Oh, you wanted to know if you should give up on cursive -- there is no law that says everyone has to learn cursive. Some folks return to manuscript even though they know cursive very well. However, I do think it's important that they learn to READ cursive, they will have to do that their whole life. It's up to you whether you want to keep going with it or drop it. There may be other points of view on this, but just thought I'd give you mine.

All the best to you as you figure this out!

Blessings,

Thanks Diane, you gave me a lot to think about. He hasn't had a whole lot of practice with cursive. I just started cracking down for the past 5 months or so. The physical act of writing is not difficult for him, he just doesn't want to write. I will definitely get him a desk strip so he can refer to it. Maybe he just needs more consistent practice before I look into other avenues.

Great, it's likely a matter of consistency, then. That's great!

My oldest was home schooled through 3rd grade, then went to Christian school for 4th. I had not required much cursive of him although he had learned it, so his cursive was a bit immature when he entered the private school in 4th grade. Well, that teacher required cursive on every single paper, and although he really struggled at first, within probably two months he was fluent.

So, if that's the only reason, then, yes, sounds like practice and consistency will do it. Definitely give him the model to look at until he's comfortable. Keep a cheat sheet at his desk at the very least. Some kids need more instruction in the strokes than others, so if that's the case, maybe do it large motor with him (with your hand on his, on the white board) lots of times, instructing on the strokes as you go; make a fun thing out of it. Then add in various other ways of practice.

I would also recommend a font style that is simpler rather than a more flowery one. Not familiar with the one you're doing, maybe it's fine, that's your decision. But if you need a change there, now's the time.

Sounds great!

All the best!