Menu

How do I encourage my DD?

sixglides

He went to orientation that last 2 days.

Certain 'required' courses, (apparently a section of chemistry lots of students must take & an honors course his scholarship requires) conflict with the calculus & German classes he was hoping to take.

He's a bit concerned about taking them spring semester with so much time off.

I cried my way to the car after the parents meeting. So glad he wasn't with me. I remember so vividly taking the child to KINDERGARTEN...how did this happen???

Does he have to take these "required" courses this semester. Many colleges just want you to take them during the first 2 years. Perhaps he didn't understand his advisor correctly. If it's a big school there may be other times and days the courses are offered. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take days and times you don't want. I find this very common when coming in as a freshman because they get last pick of everything. If he is required to take them this semester, remember that most colleges have excellent study resources and tutor programs if he should need them but you may just be worrying over nothing. In the end you have to do what you have to do and it won't be the last time he will find himself in this position during college. My Dd will have to go 5 years because both of her majors are small majors at her school and there are rarely more than one day and time a course is offered and it has been quite common for them to clash with each other. There's nothing we can do so we just keep on going. Those things happen all the time at colleges and with the budget cuts going on around the country they seem to be happening more frequently so he's not alone.

One course is mandatory first semester. He met with his specific advisor today, and was told that's just the way it is for him this semester.

Good advice on the tutors; I'd forgotten those things about college. College was so long ago & he's our first. Plus, so much seems to have changed.