Menu

TOG Y4 - Classic vs. Redesign

classicHSmom

I'm know that this has been asked before but I thought that I would ask your advice with my specific situation in mind. :)

I have some questions and then some background information for you.

1. Would it be doable (i.e. wise, easy, fluid, etc.) to use Classic if I've already done 3 years of redesign (Y1, Y2, Y3)? If it helps you answer, I only have grammar level children so I'm not worried about discussions at this point.

2. Is hard to find/substitute the recommended books? I know that many are OOP, but I have access to a fairly comprehensive library system. I'm also willing to buy some titles.

3. Is there a Classic booklist out there that I can access prior to making my decision? I looked on the TOG forum and wasn't able to find one. Also, it seems taboo to ask, which I can understand since TOG is currently marketing and selling redesign. However, if anyone knows where I can find a list or is willing to email me one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

4. I would love to buy Y4 redesigned, but I'm having a hard time spending that much money right now. I know that I can find fairly inexpensive sets of classic (around $50ish). I would probably plan on buying redesigned when we hit Y4 in the next cycle (4 years from now).

5. My main motivation for considering Classic is the cost.

6. If I bought the Classic version, what needs to come with it?

7. Finally, a long shot I know, but if you have a redesigned set that you want to sell, I'd be interested. (I have posted this in the WTB forum)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ClassicHSmom

P.S. This is cross-posted on the TOG y4 yahoo! group.

Edited by classicHSmom
wasn't finished and got distracted by LO's.

1. Would it be doable (i.e. wise, easy, fluid, etc.) to use Classic if I've already done 3 years of redesign (Y1, Y2, Y3)? If it helps you answer, I only have grammar level children so I'm not worried about discussions at this point.

(bolded for ease in seeing my words.. not trying to shout. :-)

You can probably do classic just fine, it is just a little more chaotic?/ cluttery to see the info at a glance. I started with classic, then ended up buying redesigned for the next year because I like it better, but if I didn't have the cash, I would go for the classic. On the other hand, I would hate to rebuy it later when I wanted the discussions laid out for me more, assuming that the content is that different.. ( I have LG & UG kids myself) The student pages aren't as nice & pretty, they are basic, and not very kid friendly.

2. Is hard to find/substitute the recommended books? I know that many are OOP, but I have access to a fairly comprehensive library system. I'm also willing to buy some titles.

Well, I actually found more of the classic books in my library, so it's hard to say. Maybe my library just isn't buying many new things... I was able to easily substitute since classic has more info on the books, there is usually a Dewy Decimal number so you can find a similar title if you need to. I also found it easier to buy the books used, since they had been in print a while ago.

3. Is there a Classic booklist out there that I can access prior to making my decision? I looked on the TOG forum and wasn't able to find one. Also, it seems taboo to ask, which I can understand since TOG is currently marketing and selling redesign. However, if anyone knows where I can find a list or is willing to email me one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

You might ask on the TOG board if anyone local to you has a classic year 4 you can look at for an hour or two... As far as I know, TOG is very protective of their book lists, both classic & redesigned. :glare: This can be semi irritating, even to a loyal customer.

4. I would love to buy Y4 redesigned, but I'm having a hard time spending that much money right now. I know that I can find fairly inexpensive sets of classic (around $50ish). I would probably plan on buying redesigned when we hit Y4 in the next cycle (4 years from now).

If you have other kids who will be doing year 4 at the grammar level after you buy redesigned, you will have to substitute or rebuy books.

5. My main motivation for considering Classic is the cost.

Yup, been there... :-D I did year 1 with just the base (booklists only) and units 3&4 of the classic year plan... I really missed the detail for the first 2 units. You probably want those. :D

6. If I bought the Classic version, what needs to come with it?

The loom CD & all 4 units, and a base unit/core thing (The section with the booklists) Sometimes the base is in with unit one.. its not as big as the regular units.