Menu

What can you tell me about Chester's Comix?

I got an email from HSBC and they have the whole collection of Chester's Comix available for the next couple days. I really like the samples I see and think my kids would really enjoy them. I am assuming that they are a secular history comic since the author writes has a newspaper column in Virginia & it looks like maybe some school districts use them, as well. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them? Love 'em? Not so great? Are they worth spending $79 on? I don't want to waste my money, but at the same time, I don't want to let an amazing history resource pass by. If I were to buy this, they would be used to supplement MFW Explor. - 1850 (this next year) & MFW 1850 - Modern Times (the following year). So please, bombard me with your thoughts & experiences, I'm all ears! :bigear:

We bought them, but haven't had them long enough to give you a definitive answer. I like the looks of them. But I've noticed my kids are always reading Horrible Histories. So I'm not sure if they prefer those. They are all in bed or I'd ask. But if you don't own Horribles, I'd say put your money there first. I got my Chesters a while ago this year, so I think they may run the offer again.

My ds 9 *loves* these, he's an Americana buff. They don't stay in the homeschool area, he keeps them in his bedroom to read and re-read, along with a series on the US presidents. My older ds 13 was fine with them, he has always been a fan of comic books/graphic books.

I personally have not read through them all, but I thought they were a good supplement and, at least for us, have been well worth the money we spent on them.

That's my experience, anywy, hth.

My 9 year old loves them. My mom bought her the whole set a few years ago. I have read some of them and I do believe they are a good supplement. She reads them on her own now, but she often mentions some things she remembers from reading them.

For us, they were well worth it.

Suzanne