Menu

New to the New Website - need history curriculum advice!

Guest Kaypers

Guest Kaypers

This is my first post on the new website - I took a "break" for a good long time. Our family has been using Sonlight (cores 3 and 4 and 100) for the last two years with my older 3 dds (14, 12, and 10). Next year my oldest goes to Public HS, and my middle two daughters need something a little less time-consuming. We found we were trying so hard to stick to the Sonlight schedule that we slacked off in other areas (this is even after eliminating a number of books from the schedule). I also have a 7 y.o. and a 3 y.o. who were NOT part of the Sonlight experience...

We had planned to start ancient history next year - I'm thinking about either AWOA or Winter Promise. My soon-to-be 7th grader is a "slow processor" - she is a very linear thinker and likes sturcture. She works below her grade level in many areas. My 10 y.o. is a highly distractible, right-brained artsy type and works at or above grade level. Any suggestions for us? We are also trying to decide what language arts curriculum to use. I can't decide between Write Shop and Classical Writing. We used Writing Strands (among other things) last year and I didn't feel it was a good fit (I'd like a program which incorporates grammar and spelling). I'm overwhelmed with too many choices. I'm starting to feel like I'm in the cereal aisle re: curriculum! Please let me know if you have used something WONDERFUL for history or language arts/writing!:001_smile:

I highly recommend Mystery of History!! Winter Promise uses it as its spine for Quest for the Ancient World. I recently received the guide and notebooking portions, and it is exactly what will work for us. If you're considering it, know that it gets an A++ vote from me! :D

I'll PM you about a language arts thing I know about; I'm not sure that it's supposed to be publicized, but I'm sure you'd be interested! ;)

Check out "History Portfolio" at Homeschooljourney.com

- It may appeal to both your learners. The "artsy" one will most definitely enjoy it, but it may have enough structure for the "linear" student. It's different enough to be fresh, and hopefully inspiring.

Geo

Its hard, isn't it, to settle on history. If you've really narrowed it down to those 2, I vote Winter Promise. If you are still scoping things out, My Father's World, and Mystery of History might be options as well. For LA, you might look at Character Quality Language Arts. I know....its not bandied about as much as some others, but it sounds like you are looking for an IEW/imitative type writing program coupled with dictation/grammar/& spelling. CQLA brings all that together amazingly well. I may be trying it next year myself with my son. Check it out here: http://www.tfths.com/cqla.php I would read the FAQs first, then look at the samples. There are 4 levels, and 3 levels within each level, so it is something you could definitely use for both kids simultaneously. Downside....not incredible cheap. But its very good, imo. AND, they have a months worth of samples, so you can definitely try before you buy. Anyway, see what you think.

Kayleen