Menu

What would you do? LA question. PLEASE help me decide!

parias1126

I have used McRuffy LA with my DS7 for K and 1st. He has done pretty well with it aside from taking FOREVER to get his work done since he has a horrible attention span. He can read pretty well now (probably a year above grade level) and is an excellent speller. Those of you that have used McRuffy for LA, would you suggest I go ahead and use the 2nd grade (I already have it on the shelf from a couple years ago).

I haven't looked through the 2nd grade McRuffy yet, but I am assuming it doesn't have a lot of grammar just as the 1st grade didn't. I would like for him to get more grammar this year and am thinking about just going back to FLL or using GWG (which I already have as well). I would love him to also get more writing practice as McRuffy doesn't emphasize on that either. I was thinking of using WWW along with WWE2 (We did use WWE1 last year). My biggest problem is that I am already adding in WWE. I really want something that is going to be quick, but effective because he is such a "twaddler". He is so distracted by every little thing If there is a piece of paper or an eraser next to him on the table, he will play with it. If I am not sitting right next to him, then it doesn't get done.

Ok so ...

Do I use

McRuffy LA 2

WWE 2

or...

WWE2

WWW (yes, I know that is double doing, but I want him to have the skills from both)

GWG or FLL2

and I need to pick a spelling curriculum. I have Apples & Pears here since I purchased it for my DD, but not sure he really needs that). If I go this route, then I need help with a spelling choice!

Edited by parias1126

He is so distracted by every little thing If there is a piece of paper or an eraser next to him on the table, he will play with it. If I am not sitting right next to him, then it doesn't get done.

This is pretty normal for the age. I have to stay very close when DS is doing anything independent. Here's an example of what happens when I'm not around. :lol:

FLL is very quick and easy, and it keeps their attention since you're talking with them the whole time, rather than handing them a workbook to do themselves.

That is so my child! Last week I found that he used his white sheet on his bed as a canvas for art work. Also, he has a very expensive hobby train his dad has been working on with him. We found holes in the tunnel made with a pencil or something. DSs response was that he wanted to pretend there were squirrels, opossums, and chipmunks living in the tunnel and they did it.

I was thinking the same thing about FLL. It only takes a few minutes and it sticks. There is no time for distraction if I'm sitting with him. McRuffy he does a lot of it on his own which is a bad thing for this particular child.

I really need spelling suggestions though to add to the latter plan. Anyone?