Menu

Dancing Bears vs Phonics Pathways

sixtimemomma

Just wondering if anyone has tried or seen both of these curriculums.

Also, wondering if anyone leans more to one than the other for a non reader just starting out.

I've used Dancing Bears Fast Track with my dd who needed remediation, and PP with 2 sons when they were 4-6. Fast Track moves quickly, so I'm not certain how the regular Dancing Bears would compare in pace to PP. Dancing Bears font is smaller than PP. It also has a story that runs through the set, whereas PP does not. PP includes pages of sentences to read, but does not have stories included. The story in Dancing Bears is more suited, in my opinion, to older children. My 5 & 6 yos were happy to read Dick and Jane readers, Bob books, Dr. Seuss, etc to practice reading. My 11 yo would not read those books, but she rather enjoyed the stories in Dancing Bears. I will be using PP to teach my youngers to read, and will only pull out Dancing Bears if I run across an older child who needs remediation. :001_smile:

Apples & Pears is a spelling curriculum, not phonics. If you want to teach a child to read, use either PP or DB. We are slowly working through A&P A, and it has helped cement some of the earlier phonics lessons, but I wouldn't get the program just for that.

I haven't used PP, but did use/are using Dancing Bears. If you have a Ker, I'd recommend starting with Bear Necessities unless they really have blending down, in which case the child can start with Dancing Bears A.