Menu

Real Food...

I didn't see this list posted so I'll add it:

Michael Pollan's food rules:

1. Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. "When you pick up that box of portable yogurt tubes, or eat something with 15 ingredients you can't pronounce, ask yourself, "What are those things doing there?" Pollan says.
  2. Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce.
  3. Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter of the store. Real food tends to be on the outer edge of the store near the loading docks, where it can be replaced with fresh foods when it goes bad.
  4. Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot. "There are exceptions -- honey -- but as a rule, things like Twinkies that never go bad aren't food," Pollan says.
  5. Don't buy food where you buy your gasoline. In the U.S., 20% of food is eaten in the car.

About the rotting- I got really creeped out last week when a couple of (storebought) strawberries I had left in the fridge over a week did not turn mushy. They looked exactly the same only slightly dessicated. The ones we buy at the farmers market will turn very quickly if we don't eat them up.

As I constantly tell my dh, Kraft processed cheese food product is NOT real food! :lol:

I think of real food as whole fruits and vegetables, meats and fish directly from the animal, whole grains that are very minimally processed.

On the label of the Kraft slices it states (or it once stated...it has been a long time since we purchased this) "processed cheese food". I think you are supposed to feed it to your cheese:D