Menu

Another math resource for advanced middle schoolers -- MEGSSS Online

MBM

I think this is an online forum for the St Louis school that teaches the MEGSSS program. (Yup... here is a link that also has their brochure.)

If there were a version online, I'd sure be looking into it for my son.

From what I've seen online, I don't think iMacs online does as much as MEGSSS does. If I lived near an iMacs center, I definitely would take a closer look at their in-person classes, but their online ones don't intrigue me much.

For me, I'm unsure if I'll have my son work with the EM books or go with AoPS - or some combination. The prep work with the EM books is pretty huge since there aren't solutions or tests. But I do definitely intend to do Book 1 and 2 (Logic) with him.

Happy to answer any questions about the books or program I went through at any point.

Aw, you're right. It's too bad they don't offer this as an online class.

Dana, what are your thoughts about using iMACS in conjunction with another math curriculum?

We recently signed up for iMACS, and my son really likes the Mathematical Logic I course. I'm surprised how much he likes it! It seems like a nice addition to use along with AoPS (which he has been working through for several years) or possibly another math curriculum. He says iMACS is different than AoPS, interesting and challenging.

He is also going to begin Awesome Math Year-round (AMY) which is online and available to all (deadline is this August, I believe) but probably geared more toward high school level math. What I like about AMY is that it's run by Titu Andreescu, Zuming Feng, and other amazing mathematicians/teachers, who offer their feedback on the problem sets. I also like that students are allowed to work two months on problem sets. Pretty cool.

Well, bummer about this not being available to all. Maybe in the future...

Edited by MBM
edited

Aw, you're right. It's too bad they don't offer this as an online class to anyone anywhere.

Dana, what are your thoughts about using iMACS in conjunction with another math curriculum?

It would have been nice!

I have one or two copies of tests from one book (my sister's old schoolwork). They're good. Really wish I could get all the resources... or access to a course. Oh well.

I haven't really looked at the online iMacs stuff, so I don't know how well it'd work in conjunction. I also haven't looked at a text from AoPS yet. I hope to buy the prealgebra book when it comes out though.

I'm glad your son is enjoying the logic course. I really liked the EM logic books and do intend to use them with my son.

I majored in math and teach math, so it's where I tend to push the most with my son. I see students with all sorts of gaps in their basic knowledge and I want my son to have as solid a foundation as I can give him. From what I hear, it sounds like AoPS may be dense enough that adding to it may be too much (especially for my son who currently tolerates math but doesn't adore it). I don't know what I'll use as a spine & what I'll supplement with... but the EM books will be in there at some level... although I may end up just using a couple rather than the series.

It sounds like you've got some good stuff going on with your son. I'd continue based on his interests. If he's liking the iMacs work, I'd keep on with it if you're comfortable. Looking at the EM books, I would want to supplement with more traditional geometry. My MEGSSS instructor also supplemented quite a bit with additional handouts on solving linear equations and factoring.

Those MEGSSS classes you took sound fantastic. Maybe someone still has the teaching material? What a shame that it isn't available to more students and teachers! I think a planned revolt might be in order.

I think you might like AoPS very much. Both the texts and the community are wonderful. If you move into it gently, your son will probably do just fine and grow to like it a lot.

Those MEGSSS classes you took sound fantastic. Maybe someone still has the teaching material? What a shame that it isn't available to more students and teachers! I think a planned revolt might be in order.

I think you might like AoPS very much. Both the texts and the community are wonderful. If you move into it gently, your son will probably do just fine and grow to like it a lot.

The Imacs people have the material. They just won't release anything other than the EM books (which are rather expensive). :glare: Although the person I worked with when I bought the books has answered a couple of questions as I've been working through the material (once it was a typo in the book). I can kind of understand their point of view. I just wish I could get access to all the material though.

My husband's slightly ticked with me at the idea of getting the AoPS books after buying all (yup... all) of the EM books. But it does sound like good material too. So I'm torn.

But I've also had the EM books for a couple of years and have only managed to work through Bk 0 - Ch 1-4. Teaching the boy and part-time teaching do take a lot of my time.... (and then I found the WTM boards...).

But if anyone gets the EM books and wants to compare answers and self-made resources at any point... please, please send me a PM! :)

Question about Imacs....I don't see the cost of any of their classes. Do any of you know what their tuition is like?

Here's a link to their online courses. I haven't searched for their on-campus courses.

For "Advanced Mathematical Logic", (eek),

"How much does each course cost?

The tuition is $985 for each course in this track."

I'm not sure if these courses use the books from EM or not.

Here's a link to their online courses. I haven't searched for their on-campus courses.

For "Advanced Mathematical Logic", (eek),

"How much does each course cost?

The tuition is $985 for each course in this track."

I'm not sure if these courses use the books from EM or not.

Yes, $985. That is for 40 weeks of access -- so about $100 per month -- as well as help from an assigned instructor. It's perfect for my son because students may work as their schedules permit, and ds tends to work in fits and spurts. I'm not entirely sure what they're using, but I believe it's all online. I really have to look at it more thoroughly, but I'm in the middle of laying tile before my eldest son and his girlfriend arrive tomorrow.

Dana, maybe if you just start with one AoPS book, your husband won't balk so much as you add to your collection. You might have to buy another bookcase for your expanding math library, though!

It makes me so happy that you guys are here talking about this. I have no experience with the eimacs classes but DS is finishing up book 2. He pretty much works alone. I helped a bit with book 1 but he seems to be fine on his own. He's doing AOPS Geometry and elements Book 2 now.

I like having both because I am 100% sure he is able to learn from the AOPS books and the elements books have that extra mathematician thingy that he craves. He loves both and would be very sad to have to give up either.

It makes me so happy that you guys are here talking about this. I have no experience with the eimacs classes but DS is finishing up book 2. He pretty much works alone. I helped a bit with book 1 but he seems to be fine on his own. He's doing AOPS Geometry and elements Book 2 now.

I like having both because I am 100% sure he is able to learn from the AOPS books and the elements books have that extra mathematician thingy that he craves. He loves both and would be very sad to have to give up either.

Nifty. I think book 1 and 2 give a great foundation for formal logic.

So far, we think the eIMACS class is a nice complement to the AoPS books. My son has worked through quite a few of AoPS's books (including all challengers) and is taking courses through them as well. eIMACS provides more logic, so they seem to be a nice fit.

• 2 months later...

A little update. I found a thorough review of the eIMACS course my son is taking, Introduction to Logic 1, which I thought some of you might like to see:

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/reviews/eimacs-logic.php

My son loves this class and is learning a lot. He signed up in June and is about 25% of the way through, but he will likely slow down once school starts. I would still say it's a nice complement to AoPS.

EIMACS also offers Intro to Logic 2 and a Set Theory course. If I find detailed information about those, I'll share it here.

ETA: Here is a site from Hoagie's Gifted that explains how the EM books and eIMACS classes are related.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/eimacs.htm

Edited by MBM
Added more info