Menu

BJU English

My ds will be going into 7th next year. He has had very little formal grammar. He did Easy Grammar in 4th grade and about 2/3 of Winston Grammar Basic last year in 5th grade. This year we did not do a grammar program, just IEW writing. I feel like he needs more work with grammar, but especially mechanics and usage. Would BJU English be good for this? What grade level could we jump in to?

I love BJU English for the lower grades, but not so much after that. Look at the samples online and you'll see what I mean. If writing is not an issue then I recommend CLE. Abeka works well for grammar but also includes writing. This year I am returning to A Beka for 7th grade English.

I really like BJU Grammar & Writing, but like already mentioned, I don't care as much for their 7-12 grades. Not that they are not excellent, I just do not like the way they approach writing in the higher grades.

Now, I personally would have zero problem putting a 7th grader in the BJU 6th grade text. None whatsoever.

I also really, really like CLE. I like CLE better than Abeka...by far. My older boys used Abeka and hated it! But, my boys were perhaps picky. My youngest used BJU up until 7th and then I switched to CLE for 7th and 8th grades. He loved CLE. One thing I like about it (CLE) is that it also includes spelling. You can skip the spelling in each lesson and just do the grammar, but my ds enjoyed their spelling and I enjoyed that it killed two birds with one stone.

a LOT on the boards, myself included, look to Rod & Staff for strength in grammar.

and a good handful of families have used BJU middle school and high school with tremendous success for grammar (NO problems on SAT verbal).

Abeka is strong but many complain of boredom. But there are families out there who really like it - you MIGHT be one of them?

There are samples, often placement tests. I know, first hand, BJU customer service is GREAT at helping families getting kids placed at the right level. They have placement exams and stuff, if you wish to spend the money. Or you can just check out their stuff online and guage where you think your student belongs.

Good luck.