Menu

More on Tutoring Dad

I'm still going through the links from my last post about tutoring my dad.

More information. Today, I dictated cvc words to my dad. He did pretty good. For the word 'map' he wrote 'met'. The word 'web' he wrote 'wab'.

Today's lesson (using Reading Horizons) consisted of common words like, 'that, in, it, not, and, a, for, I, of'. These he knew very well.

My dad has memorized so much and he guesses at the rest. He was reading an advertisement and he read 'install' as 'installation'. This tells me he is guessing.

He told me when he reads, he will skip over words he does not know and come back to them.

Lastly, when I have him read words like 'gas, map, bag, men, gag, bed etc. he has to sound them out, but if he reads a sentence with the same words, he reads them without having to sound out each word. He does this all the time with the mail (insurance papers etc.) For instance one of his retirement papers had the words 'any' and 'age'. He said, he recognized the word 'an' so guessed the word 'any'. He knew the word age.

I still am not sure what to do about him not hearing all the sounds. I thought I'd list more of what I found out to see if it sounds familiar and if you have any suggestions.

My dad said, that when he was in 1st and 2nd grade he could read well. Once in 3rd grade he started having trouble. He was put in 'special' classes for the remainder of his school years until he quit in 11th grade. No one really taught them how to read in those 'special' classes.