Menu

How to use OPGTR for K and 1st

jetertribe

We are using WTM for the first time this year and have a K and 1st grader. Im trying to get familiar with the books and in looking at this one I think I may have to make some adjustments. Wanted to see if anyone had some ideas for me.

DD 1st grader has just finished AOP Kinder LA program. She is reading on a 2-3 grade level however she is a HUGE GUESSER. Meaning she has a talent :001_smile: for guessing what the words are rather than truly having read them. I really want her to grasp the rule set's and know that the last portion of this book would be right on target for her. But im not sure where to jump her in. Im thinking the end of section 4 beginning section 5 (consonant digraphs). Does any one with more experience have any input on that?

DS-K is just itching to read. I think he will fly through the beginning lessons. Because of this I'm wondering if I should let DD do other reading things until DS catches up with where she will be and then let them work it together. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks so much

TJ

I wouldn't worry about trying to have them work together. I used it for k and 1st last year. I just put a tab with their names to mark what lesson they were on. Some lessons we flew through and some took a while. It would be hard to keep two on the same pace. Just start them at whatever point seems most appropriate and do a little every day. The kids didn't love it but it was quick and easy. Have fun.