Menu

C. Conversations - What materials to buy?

Suzanne115

Hi -

We just joined Classical Conversations for next school year. I am looking at their online bookstore and trying to decide what materials to order. What materials did you find useful? Are there any that you really didn't use much at all?

Thank you for any input.

Suzanne

It'd be hard for me to buy the VP cards when they are only going to be used 1-2 more years, before CC has it's own... according to what's being said. (One more year for sure, then the next... it's a choice for directors.... and then the next... CC's timeline cards) Course, that's not anything that I have official documentation for, just saying. I would also have a hard time purchasing the current guide, isn't there another one in 1 year? Also, if doing Essentials, the new guide is prettier.

Just my thoughts.

From what I've been told, here's what you NEED to buy:

• Foundations guide (3rd edition is the current one)
  • Tin whistle

Here's what I've been told is VERY helpful, but not required:

• Veritas history cards (5 sets)
  • Cycle 3 Memory cards (they're flashcards on a ring)
  • Cycle 3 audio CD of memory work

If you're going to a practicum, their bookstore will most likely be set up also for purchases. HTH

If changes are coming...

then just the bare necessities.

Foundations Guide & a Tin whistle. You can subscribe to the online community for any extras.

This where you can find on-line tutorials for the memory work.

but the Audio cds are nice to have.

It'd be hard for me to buy the VP cards when they are only going to be used 1-2 more years, before CC has it's own... according to what's being said. (One more year for sure, then the next... it's a choice for directors.... and then the next... CC's timeline cards) Course, that's not anything that I have official documentation for, just saying. I would also have a hard time purchasing the current guide, isn't there another one in 1 year? Also, if doing Essentials, the new guide is prettier.

Just my thoughts.

I think these purchases would still be good. Certainly if they'll be used for a year or more. You could cover/ do a lot in that amount of time.

Maybe the poster could ask/ shop around to find them used.

I'd try to find a used foundations guide and the audio CD. I would not purchase the cards. I second the idea to join the CC Community. It's only 6.00 a month and it can get you by without the cards for a year. I think the audio CD is really important if you guys travel around town a lot during the week. We were able to get a lot of Grace's memory work done in the car every week. You can download the audio songs from the CC file sharing forum if you have the time and inclination.

We use our Foundations Guide, audio CDs, and tin whistle for Foundations. I consider the tin whistle and audio CDs essential for our family. We did not purchase the Memory CDs or really look at the VP timeline cards that I bought. The timeline cards were a huge budget item, but I find that we didn't use them. I also purchased a membership to the online community. Next year I plan to periodically purchase a monthly membership. We just needed it now and then, but it was incredibly helpful when we used it.

Hi -

We just joined Classical Conversations for next school year. I am looking at their online bookstore and trying to decide what materials to order. What materials did you find useful? Are there any that you really didn't use much at all?

Thank you for any input.

Suzanne

If it's for foundations, I would not bother getting the science cards. We did not use them AT ALL, nor did most of the other moms who were in foundations with us. Most of us are looking to sell them.

I also never used the "All You Need to Know about XXX" books. Not my style. Much prefer Usborne or Kingfisher books.

Definitely buy the VP cards and the flash card packs for the weekly memory work, and by all means have access to the memory work CDs or audio online.

Thanks Nikki. What do you use with CC? If the community here doesn't get started, should I try at home on my own? Or should I drive about 30min to a CC?

I'm a newbie to CC, so take my plans with a grain of salt! :tongue_smilie:

For US history, I'm pulling from SOTW, Usborne and Kingfisher encyclopedias as well as some ebooks and online sources. No official curric. Just using the CC guide as our clue on what to study each week.

Same thing with science (anatomy and a little of chemistry). I'm pulling from Apologia, Usborne encyclopedia, some ebooks and online sources. And again I'm using the CC guide to clue us in on what to study each week

Aside from that, I've got math, language arts (grammar, phonics/reading/spelling, and writing), and Bible curricula that I'm using. You'll definitely need to supplement for those areas with stand alone curricula.

:001_smile:

Thanks Nikki. What do you use with CC? If the community here doesn't get started, should I try at home on my own? Or should I drive about 30min to a CC?

Personally, I think it is worth the 30 minute drive to be in a community. We drove almost that long last year, and now we have enough interest that we will have one on this side of town for the coming year. The community is a wonderful part of CC though -- for both the parents and the children. In fact, leaving our community was the hardest part of changing to a new one.

:) Eva

I appreciate your input as well! I will definitely consider joining another community if ours doesn't start.

I am using the same thing....SOTW for history with encyclopedias and Science will be books. I will do a formula math curriculum and a formal language arts program.