Menu

Another CW Aesop ? Scheduling the Writing Projects

peacefully

There was a writing project with each lesson. Each year had about 18 lessons and I had each lesson cover two weeks, therefore, there was a writing project every second week. This was very manageable for us and allowed to focus more on the skills taught.

Are you aware that the core book covers 2 years, or are you planning on doing 2 years in one? Do you have the instructor's guide or student workbook? They make it much easier to visualize what you are going to be covering.

Each Aesop level has 18 lessons. If you do the A&I work one week, and the writing assignment the next, each Aesop level will take a full year to complete. If you're trying to do both Aesop levels in one year, yes, you'd need to do one writing project a week.

I started Aesop with kids older than third grade. We did each lesson in a week, with a modified schedule. They made an outline and narrated on day one, did all the A&I work on day 2, then spent the rest of the week on their rough draft, editing and final draft. For my rising third grader I will probably use the same modified schedule, but slow it down a bit. I don't plan on using the whole A level with him this year, though. When he gets to fourth grade I'll have him finish A and B, doing each lesson in a week, and he'll spend the extra weeks writing letters and such.

:o Er, actually, I did not realize that it covered two years. Whew! This makes Aesop so much more manageable! Thank you, thank you, for mentioning this!!

I have all three books, but apparently, I'm still having difficulty visualizing what I will be covering. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, a writing project every other week seems manageable. For some reason, I could not figure out what that sample schedule was trying to convey, and the idea of doing a writing project on top of each day's A&I seemed WAY too overwhelming.

I think Aesop looks harder than it actually is. I modified it by not using the spelling and using only the grammar exercises that I thought were beneficial (we were using FLL for grammar alongside). One skill I focussed on, and in hindsight am very glad I did, was synonym substitution. The payoff is that my dd can re-write a story in her own words without blinking an eye, and the level of her vocabulary is excellent.

So ...... remember to make the curriculum work for you and don't be afraid to drop or change certain things. With Aesop it is easy to do; when you reach Homer, you have to stick more to the program.

Thanks, Dyan! I went through the core book one more time, and it's making more sense now in light of your proposed two-week schedule. :D I'm glad you mentioned the what you are doing with synonyms. My ds would actually love that. He mentioned to me today that he loves learning new words.

I stayed up late last night reading some of the old CW threads. I shouldn't have done that. The Homer threads are making me a little nervous now. :tongue_smilie:

You're very welcome! :001_smile: Don't get nervous and don't try to understand everything all at once. I felt whoozy the first time I looked at Homer. :D Just take it a step at a time. It will take you awhile to "get" the program but you will see so many benefits the further you get into it.

Have fun! :001_smile: