Menu

Singapore Science kits?

I'm really liking Singapore Science. It's looking good for what I want for my girls. I also like McRuffy but, as of this moment, it ends at 3rd and I need 5th grade science as well as 1st grade. Plus, I want the thoroughness of Singapore.

I think what appeals to me about McRuffy is that it comes with a kit of all the supplies you need for the experiments. That's gonna get er done. Is there anywhere to buy the kits for Singapore science levels? Anyoone? Please say yes......

TIA

Have you looked on Home science tools? I don't think they have a kit specifically for Singapore, but you could probably create one using their supplies. Another thing that I have considered is buying a Science in a Nutshell kit to have on hand for times when I can't get the things I need easily.

Sagira -

I couldn't tell what's included in the Animal Observatory, so I can't say how well it'd fit with Diversity & Cycles.

I'd love kits for MPH.

We only did Diversity in 3rd grade. I'm going to try and push more and get the 4 books done this year. I really like HOTS and the Tests with the MPH materials. They definitely take things to another level with thinking and I think the program is much weaker if you don't use them.

I did a list of materials that are used in the books.

Typing up Diversity & Cycles here...

It's from a poorly formatted Excel spreadsheet I've set up for the series.

Diversity - Activity Book sections in ( )

(1.1) 2 objects: marble, tennis ball

(2.2) potted plant (30-50 cm) and a box bigger than the plant

(6.2) 2 pc bread, toaster, sandwich bags, scotch tape (note... we never had the bread mold... apparently we sealed things far too well :) )

(6.4) 3 petri dishes with agar

(7.2) rubber eraser, wooden chopsticks, metal nail, plastic ruler, metal ruler, wooden ruler, thin sheet of plastic, paper, cloth

(7.3) rubber eraser, metal spoon, plastic spoon, glass marble, shopstick, styrofoam cup, plastic cup

Cycles - Activity Book

(2.1) mealworm larvae (we did ladybug larvae instead - faster and nicer to look at... basically, grow beetles)

(3.1) soil, transparent cups, tomato seeds, chili seeds, green bean seeds, string

(4.1) 2 plastic cups, sand, cotton

(4.2) - balance & weights & objects to weigh

(4.3) tissue paper, deep transparent plastic tub, transparent plastic cup, thumbtack, Scotch tape

(5.1) 2 syringes that hold 10 mL

(5.2) syringe, beaker, measuring cylinder

(5.3) measuring cylinder, 3 rocks - different sizes but need to fit in measuring cylinder

Oh my gosh. You rock! I had actually kinda moved on and decided NOT to use Singapore science since it didn't have a kit b/c I just knew that meant I wouldn't do the experiments, therefore it would be pointless.

Buuutttt, that list looks quite do-able. I so so so wanted ths to work and you've given me hope again.

Thanks!

Thanks Dana! We're just starting MPH and this is super helpful. I've got the HOTs and Homework, and will probably order the Tests tomorrow. I think I've made 4 orders at least before we're ready to start this. I ordered my first books a year ago.

If you just did the textbook and activity book, I think the program would be really weak. I include the HW (reviews text & activity), HOTS (pushes the thinking), and the Tests (not quite as challenging as HOTS, but does still require thought).

I'll add the other books below...

they start having more experiments with more hands-on stuff.

I like having the Teacher's Guide (mainly because I like having everything with a program). It has common misconceptions, teacher's notes (a bit more in depth on a topic), answers to the activity book, and some additional suggestions with presenting the material. I don't think it's an essential component.

Systems

(1.2) plant, magnifying glass

(2.1) glue

(3.1) bread, stopwatch, 2 plastic cups, "biscuit" (cookie)

(4.1) 5 different live leaves (comparing shape, texture, size, color, edge, smell)

(4.2) plastic wrap, 2 Balsam plants (unsure what plant we'll use...)

(4.3) celery, food coloring, scissors, container with water

Interactions (this is where you get more stuff...)

(1.1) bar magnet, cotton handkerchief, steel thumbtack, plastic ruler, iron nail, glass marble, rubber band, aluminum foil, paper

(1.2) bar magnet, staples, horseshoe magnet, cup of paper clips

(1.3) 2 bar magnets, retort stand (think you can do a work-around), tape, thread, styrofoam, basin of water

(1.4) 2 bar magnets, tape, thread, book

(text experiments) strong bar magnet, iron filings, iron nail, electrical wire, battery pack (to make an electromagnet)

(2.1) nail, magnet, staples

(2.2) iron nail, wire, batteries, battery holder, tape, steel paperclips, sand, dish, pencil shavings, bits of paper, coins, marbles, steel thumbtacks, iron filings

(3.1) steel thumbtacks, glass of water, string, straw, bar magnet

(3.2) bar magnet, matchbox, string, safety pin, long stick

Energy

(text) candle, bendy straw

(1.1) pencil case (or any object), two similar boxes, flashlight

(1.2) flashlight, flat piece of large cardboard, flat mirror

(1.3) flashlight, light sensor & datalogger (this is where the text says "get from the school lab... sigh... I'm probably going to use this as an excuse to get Lego Mindstorms with sensors. You can also get sensors as attachments to the TI graphing calculators through Vernier - if you have graphing calculators around your house), clear plastic sheet, tracing or wax paper, cardstock or cardboard

(1.4) tape, white paper, flashlight, meter stick, styrofoam cup

(2.1) bowl of ice water, towel

(2.2) laboratory thermometer, plastic spoon, warm water, ice water

(2.3) 1 L boiling water, laboratory thermometer, 2 eggs, 2 plastic cups, 2 beakers (holding over 250 ml each)

(2.4) datalogger with heat sensor, basin, beaker, 2 similar metal spoons, 2 cups

(3.1) metal ball and ring set, bunsen burner

(3.2) test tube with rubber stopper with hole for glass tube, colored water, glass tube, tongs, basin of hot water, balloon, thin glass bottle (beer or wine bottle could work)

(3.3) ice cube, plate

(3.4) retort stand, metal rod, 3 thumbtacks, candle

(3.5) metal spoon, plastic spoon, styrofoam cup, butter

(3.6) styrofoam cup, metal cup, ceramic cup, thermometer, measuring cylinder, basin that all 3 cups fit inside

There may be some things I missed with the retyping... but this should be it... Hope it's helpful. I do like the program. I haven't decided if I'll use MPH 5/6 after or switch to CPO or Science Explorer...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Yes, that was super helpful, Dana. I think there are some neat choices in secular science for the logic stage:

Singapore Interactive Science (MPH 5/6 first)

Delta Science in a Nutshell Education kits

Rainbow Science (mostly secular)

CPO Science (love the textbook layout and simple explanations)

Let us know what you decide on!