Menu

Intro from a mom in Kentucky

Hey Everyone,

I've been homeschooling since my daughter was school age, so about 11 years. I read The Well Trained Mind two years ago but only just discovered the message board.

My oldest is 15 and finishing 9th grade. She took all her classes through Keystone this year. Next we're going to do a mix of Keystone and at home classes. Keystone is good, but she fell behind having never had a deadline before. I think it was a good experience for her.

Next come the up and coming sixth graders, my 11yo and my best friend's 10yo. They are only a few months apart, and as we live together are more sisters than friends. They are finishing up MUS Epsilon. We used Saxon Grammar but got tired of it and switched to some workbooks I had lying around.

The littlest is 5 (and a half.) She loves her MUS Primer, but isn't as enthusiastic about OPG. I had to make a deal with her that she just has to read the practice words then she can read a book to me from a pile of books that came with some Reader Rabbit software a friend gave us. Some days she's impossible, others she amazes me. I guess that's really true about all of them (and maybe us as well.)

As for me, I work full time, my live in best friend is home during the day with the kids. I assign their lessons and review them with older kids in the evening. We go over anything they missed and work together on any group projects. I also do the youngest's lessons in the evening.

It's a lot to do, but I love it. It's funny looking at colleges with one kid while teaching another to read.

• 3 weeks later...