Menu

AAS - Do you need everything?

keglinja

I am hoping to start AAS with my 3rd grader next year who is not a natural speller, but doing OK for her age. I will start with Level 2 - but do I need every component or can I get by with just the TM and student book? Which, if any, are the must haves? (tiles, cards, Cd, etc..)

You don't need the phonogram cd. I just got the tiles and magnets, then the student packet and TM. I don't know if you have to get the level 1 student packet or if they have a version of level 2 that has the phonogram and sound cards from level 1? I started in level 1, so hopefully someone else knows about that!

Oh, I also got the review box and laminated dividers, but you can make do with something locally. I like the box and dividers.

You will need...

• the TM/student pack set
  • the letter tiles
  • magnets (if you don't want to have to set up the tiles on the table each day)
  • a level 1 student pack because you will need the phonogram, key and sound cards from that level (they normally move up with each child as they progress through the levels)
  • a set of dividers unless you want to make your own. The packets used to come with cardstock ones, but no longer do

The spelling review box is nice because it's just the right size for the cards, but you can also go to Stuff*mart and get a sterlite box (they are in the organization section, not the office supply section) that will work.

HTH

ETA: are you starting with level 2 for any specific reason. I know lately there's been some confusion about level of AAS and "grade level" Here's a link to the AAS site about where to start. I'm not asking to be snarky or get you to buy more, just want to make sure you don't get level 2 and think "Oops, maybe this isn't the right place to start" Many people, myself included, started older kids with level 1 and worked through it quickly.

Edited by nukeswife

I know you didn't ask, but I'd really recommend starting with Level 1, you could probably move through a lot of it very quickly, but there are parts of it that are quite helpful for kids, like learning when to use c or k and the beginning of a word (we just did that one recently so it's in my mind, but there are lots of others too).

We got the magnets, but my son almost never uses them but he is also not a kinesthetic learner at all, they just distract him.

Charlene

I know you didn't ask, but I'd really recommend starting with Level 1, you could probably move through a lot of it very quickly, but there are parts of it that are quite helpful for kids, like learning when to use c or k and the beginning of a word (we just did that one recently so it's in my mind, but there are lots of others too).

We got the magnets, but my son almost never uses them but he is also not a kinesthetic learner at all, they just distract him.

Charlene

Thanks - I am considering starting with Level 1. I have a 5 year old as well who could use it, so it may be worth it even if my 8 year old moves through it quickly.

Did you get and/or use the cards? (I mean the phonogram CD-rom for the cards)

Thanks - I am considering starting with Level 1. I have a 5 year old as well who could use it, so it may be worth it even if my 8 year old moves through it quickly.

I think if you have a small one coming up the ranks getting level 1 won't be a bad idea. Remember AAS has a very generous return policy so if you get it and decide it's not needed you can always return it.

Not sure what you mean about "Did you get and/or use the cards? (I mean the phonogram CD-rom for the cards)"

The student flashcards are essential, if you're just asking about the phongram CD, then no I didn't get that. I started using AAS before they had the basic kit and things all came separately. The phonogram CD is just a CD of the phonograms being said, it may be helpful for those that have a difficult time saying the clipped sounds of some letters, like b, you should try not to put "uh" on the end of sounds like that. I've never regretted not having it, but others may have different opinions on it.

Note that the phonogram cards sold separately are not necessarily. They are included with the student packs.

The phonogram CD is just a CD of the sounds, which I found a website with Spalding sounds on it for free, though I've never had to use it. Each phonogram card includes example words for the parent to know what sound is being taught, so unless you live in a part of the country that pronounces things really strangely, you should be ok. :)

Thanks for the feedback about the flashcards - I did not realize they were part of the student packet, but knew they were part of the program. That now makes more sense. My plan is to just get the TM, student packet and tiles. Probably Level 1. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback about the flashcards - I did not realize they were part of the student packet, but knew they were part of the program. That now makes more sense. My plan is to just get the TM, student packet and tiles. Probably Level 1. Thanks!

Just remember that one Student pack comes with the TM (they are sold as a set) so unless you're teaching two students you won't need the one listed separately.

We did not get the CD-rom, we did get the student cards which come with th student pack. I didn't feel like I needed the CD to know the phonograms, but I have also had a linguistics class and some teacher training, which covered those. I would say the student cards while not 100% necessary, are helpful in keeping track of what needs to be reviewed and what not.

I don't honestly like the bags AAS uses - they are bulky and floppy and take up way more space than the program itself (we have the AAR bag) BUT the dividers are really, really good - I recommend getting those. We have the phonogram CD but never use it, so I wouldn't worry about getting that. We do use the tiles and magnets all the time.

I also recommend starting with level 1. I am remediating my DH and we even started in level 1 :).