Menu

5th grade book review - opinions please

Guest Miska5298

Guest Miska5298

Hi, my 10y ds, 5th grader did this book review from the BJU English 5. This is our 2nd yr home schooling and he hates writing and I really don't like teaching it. I'd like your opinion if he is grade level or not. He does take a writing class once a week but his teacher has been having to cancel class quite a bit because of family health problems. We only do her assignments for writing and I had been using the grammar chapters of BJU book. He will be taking the BJU Writing Test soon but I want to know now what everyone else thinks. Thank you!

An Adventurous Story

Why would a boy want coon hunting dogs? In Where the Red Fern Grows, a fiction book written by Wilson Rawls, an emotionally, exciting story takes place in the Ozarks, in northeastern Oklahoma, where a ten year old boy named Billy has an exciting adventure with his coon hunting dogs.

This story is about Billy who finds a magazine with an ad that has two Redbone coon hound pups for sale, and he saves up his money for two years to finally get them! He gets them and names them Little Ann and Old Dan. Then, he tries hard to train them to become coon hunting dogs. They become the best hunting team in the Ozarks and soon they win 300 dollars and a gold cup because they win the Championship Coon Hunting!!! They become best of friends, but when a furious mountain lion tries to jump on Billy... well, you'll have to read the book to find out what happens next!!!!!

This is a great book to read. One reason is that there's lots of intense action in the book like when Little Ann got stuck in a hole. Secondly, there are so many interesting characters, for example his Papa is so funny! Finally, I like that the book shows how a dogs bond with his master can be great.

This book has a strong belief in God and shows how God has things planned for you. I wouldrecommend this book to anyone who likes hunting, dogs, and heartwarming stories about friendshipsbetween dogs and kids.

I have to say, I don't know much about grade levels. I take each of my kids where they are and try to move them forward. But if my 5th grader had written that, I would be happy with it. I found it engaging and it made me want to read the story. Was it all his own spelling and grammar?

Does BJU give you a grading rubric for determining if your son met the goals of the assignment?