Menu

math through the summer?

DDR

My son will be finishing up MUS beta this summer. I'd rather do some review than move on to the next level right away. Any good recommendations to follow up/cover holes in MUS? I've read a bit about MUS not covering word problems as much so I'm taking that into consideration, too.

I'm definitely :bigear:. Thanks!

Wow, I hadn't heard that about MUS and word problems. I thought it was fairly strong on word problems, actually. Could you do some of those "daily life/unschooling" things that sound so simple in theory, but I never manage to remember in practice? "When we started this trip, the odometer read 159 miles. Now it reads 176 miles. How far have we gone?" (This would probably work better as an actual example if you happen to have writing materials in your car. :p)

My son is still in Beta, too. He's really enjoying the Flashmaster, especially in the car, where I don't happen to keep handy writing materials. (Link is to a review on a homeschooler's blog.) I'm hoping the "fun" drill he gets with that will keep his adding and subtracting skills strong over the break he'll take.

Edited by morosophe
I have no idea why I put decimal points in my example.

we will be focusing in on Math this Summer. We do use MUS, but during the Summer we will be doing Mad Dog Math to cement multiplication & division facts, and working through a general math workbook. MUS does have some word problems, and I noticed the newer editions have even more...but I have been frustrated that it doesn't really teach you "how" to approach word problems. We started out with Abeka, and I remember it teaching you in the beginning to look for certain key words in the word problem, like "how much", "all together" "difference"..these gave you a clue as to what kind of problem it would be. MUS seems to word their problems all kinds of ways, it drives me a little crazy. I am thinking about maybe going through Horizons Math during the Summer.