Menu

Experience with project packs from In the Hands of a Child?

Night Elf

My dd9 and I were looking at the site yesterday. She'd like to start with the Ancient Greece project pack. She loves hands-on stuff and has been enjoying doing the Ancient Egypt History Pockets. The last time we tried a lapbook, the material was too young for her. As this is geared towards higher grades, it almost looks too good to be true. Will we like it? love it? or does it come across as boring busy work?

We are in the middle of doing their free deer lapbook as a supplement to our 'How Nature Works' science project with a twelve year old and ten year old. I haven't seen the Ancient Greece one but our two are really enjoying this. Dd is taking her time over it and has been adding to her research by discovering more about the digestive system of deer for example and drawing it in. She has learned a lot and it is coming into her every day converstion.

I think it is easy to adapt to your own needs. It may just provide a good kind of template for a more mature research project.

We are chipping away at the art appriciation one and are using some of the science ones for as a basis for an informal life science study. The booklets seem to be a good mixture of quick and detailed. My ll yo ds really puts a lot of effort into writing great little paragraphs. If you pay attention to the grade reccomendations on the front then they will not be too young. The involve doing some research and reading them writing short responses. So far this year we have done the organisms, animal classification, art appreciation, and germs. I have the Maine history one to use to meet that requirement but we haven't started it yet.

HTH,

Wendy