Menu

TruthQuest History

I am considering TruthQuest and I am wondering if someone who has used it can tell me how they use it. Since it is not divided up into weeks, I am at a loss as to how to implement it. I would love to have a glimpse into a 'week'.

Edited by Roxy Roller
spelling

I am considering TruthQuest and I am wondering if someone who has used it can tell me how they use it. Since it is not divided up into weeks, I am at a loss as to how to implement it. I would love to have a glimpse into a 'week'.

Truthquest is really more of a timeline of sorts. It does have explanations (or an overview) about a certain time period, sometimes lengthy sometimes brief. For me, it has been more of a resource of books, movies, and a worldview guide for history. I love how it includes information about all aspects of a given time period; well known historical figures, art, music, philosophy etc.

It does not have weekly or even monthly schedules. You can either create your own from the list, or follow a set curriculum or "history spine" using Truthquest as a wealth of information to supplement. I hope that helps some. Feel free to ask more specific questions.

You can either create your own from the list, or follow a set curriculum or "history spine" using Truthquest as a wealth of information to supplement.

Hmm, this has got me thinking. I am just printing off the pdf and have briefly glanced at it. I like the idea of adding it to a spine, but will the commentary be 'off'? Does Michelle assume you have read the preceding section? That might be a concern if I was to use it with a spine that does not quite line up.

If you use one of the spines TQ recommends, it will give you the pages right underneath the commentary. I don't think you have to line things up perfectly....can just read the commentaries whenever you wish.

To simplify book choices, I use www.simplycharlottemason for it's free curriculum guide. There are history books divided by time period and age groupings. I pencil check these in my TQ guide, plus a few of the TQ 'don't miss' selections. Otherwise, the guide would be overwhelming to me and take me years to get through:) Gina

If you use one of the spines TQ recommends, it will give you the pages right underneath the commentary. I don't think you have to line things up perfectly....can just read the commentaries whenever you wish.

To simplify book choices, I use www.simplycharlottemason for it's free curriculum guide. There are history books divided by time period and age groupings. I pencil check these in my TQ guide, plus a few of the TQ 'don't miss' selections. Otherwise, the guide would be overwhelming to me and take me years to get through:) Gina

:iagree: this is what I do too

Another GREAT resource - thanks!

Yes, I recently purchased the TruthQuest guide and the number of books listed in it is overwhelming! I'm not sure, exactly, how I'm going to use it, but I think it will be something like the other posters described. Using one or two of the recommended books as a spine, then seeing which books Simply Charlotte Mason recommends, too.

I also purchased several different activity books about American History from the Scholast Teacher's Express sale earlier today. I figure I can incorporate many of these activities, crafts, and writing assignments in with the TruthQuest guide, too.

I make a 36 week schedule for TQ. I've used the AHYS series for the past 3 years. I'm getting ready to begin a four year cycle of TQ following WTM dates. I use many of the spines she recommends- Mills for my older and Guerber for my younger for the older guides, I own all of my readers. I've used TQ long enough to have favorite series (like Messner bios) and authors to collect.

TQ is coming out with notebooking materials and binder builders for the older guides soon. The younger guides already have their materials released on the TQ website for you to look at. I'm excited to have this resource to make logic stage notebooking easier. For AHYS, I used several History Pockets instead of notebooking.

I can pm you my ancients schedule this afternoon so you can see how it looks on paper. HTH!

We have used TQ for several years. I take the table of contents and divide it up into the number of weeks for the year. Then I look through the guide and select any books that I want read. I purchase the spine for the age level. My older daughter began in grade 7, so we went along with those spines that fit that age. We began in the ancient guide with Greece. Then each year we advance up to the next guide in the sequence. Now she is up to AOR 1 and we only have two years left, so I think we will try to cover both AOR1 and 2 this year.It has never been just a commentary with a nice book list for us. It becomes the history curriculum. I make the schedule and my daughter follows it. She reads the commentary, reads from the spines, fiction books, and we discuss it. Sometimes I have her write a report. Next year, most of her composition work will be based upon the history. We are also adding Mapquest. I haven't been very good about the mapwork, so this should help.If you use this program, I think it helps to join the yahoo group. There are some schedules in the files section that might give you a bit of help.