Menu

LA help!

LMD

Ok, my DD is nearly 6, fully homeschooled. She's working at a range of 'grade' levels. ETA: we're in australia where the school year is Feb-Dec, if she were at school 2011 would have been her FYOS.

Atm we're doing LLATL Red, about halfway through. She loves it, I love it too, and she is learning & retaining. I know it's considered 'light', but I'm happy to keep it while we're both enthusiastic. I am happy and plan to follow the LLATL series through.

It covers Grammar, Phonics, Spelling, Writing, Reading... etc. I feel it covers most things pretty well. Though I supplement with our own copywork/memorisation of Scripture, and add SpellingCity with the spelling words from a lesson. I think I will always supplement with my own copywork. And of course DD reads many other books (longer and more difficult) apart from those in this curriculum.

So, WDYT? Is this enough for LA? I also have FLL1 (seems too easy for her, we'd skip to near the end...), should I look into FLL2? I also have WWE1 which is pretty good and we do a lesson every now and then. We have also done a few lessons from Scott Foresman grammar/writing (grade 2), which she was more than capable of and we both liked it well enough.

I have also been looking at and drooling over Classical Writing's stuff. I would love to incorporate it when DD is ready. What age would you start? Would it be possible to combine with LLATL? Is it overkill, or must I choose only 1? Am I missing something with LA?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Edited by LMD

If LLATL is working, I would not add or change from it. The grass is not greener, the grass is NOT greener. Keep saying it with me...

You might want to check out Character Quality Language Arts-CQLA. I think LLATL is one of the books it said it incorporated into the program. It has everything that you mentioned plus writing is in there too. It's an all in one. The cost is great when you consider buying all LA/writing separate. There are tons of samples,etc on their site. http://www.tfths.com

It is Training for Triumph. I am getting it for the first time this year and so I cannot tell you how it is but I am very excited to try it.