Menu

Thoughts on ADHD Diagnosis and Concerta...

Hello,

I'm relatively new to this board. This is our first year homeschooling and we have six children. My oldest son is six and was very recently diagnosed with ADHD and we're also awaiting genetic testing for Fragile-X. (Dr. stated he fits almost every physical characteristic of Fragile-X.)

Today was the first day he has been on the Concerta and I noticed a BIG difference in his ability to complete tasks. Normally, one page in HWT takes an hour. He completed it in 10 minutes today and it looks sooooooo much better. However, I'm not convinced that meds are the way to go with his diagnosis. I'm concerned about the side effects and essentially drugging him everyday to complete school work. He is a little behind in the phonics area, but is doing pretty well. He's very good at math, which seems to be a strength for him.

I'm just very concerned for him. I'm shocked that it has taken this long for someone to realize that something was wrong. I took him to the doctor so many times telling them he was very delayed in speech and in his motor skills and was told he was ok. On top of this, I'm chronically ill (I have Systemic Lupus and Lupus Nephritis) and this whole process has worn me down tremendously. I want to help my son in the best way possible, but if he isn't medication I don't know if I have the strength to fight with him everyday. This is so frustrating!

I'm just babbling now, so anyone have any opinions on ADHD and meds??? If you have children with the same thing, how are they fairing on or off meds???

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

Meds are not something to be taken lightly but for kids that need them, they are lifesavers.

Look at the positives:

He can DO his school work better

He can work FASTER

He will feel BETTER about himself and his abilities

There is less stress for YOU

Things are better between the 2 of you--less stress in your relationship

Likely his relationships with his siblings and peers will be better as well

Without the meds you have stress, school takes much longer, he feels "dumb" and is frustrated.

If this were a blood sugar issue, or other medical issue I bet you would not hesitate to give him the medication he needed to be his best. This is NOT to minimize your concerns at all or put you down. I think there is a lot of pressure, esp. in the homeschool community NOT to use medication, even if it is indicated and effective.

IF he has fragile X you will have other things to deal with as well. If the Concerta is helping him and he doesn't have negative side effects then I would continue it and ENJOY the benefits for him and the whole family. If he does have side effects, etc. you can look at a different medication and/or dosage schedule.

My 11dd and 12dd are both on Dexedrine. It makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference for 11dd esp. She can do her school work and is learning well on the meds. Before them she could not learn to read, etc. as she couldn't focus that long.

My girls were tested for fragile X but that was negative. They do have POLG-1 and LHON (mitochondrial issues).

I'd like to give the perspective of someone who is now an adult, but who has had ADD since childhood.

Oh, would life have been nicer had someone even noticed the problems I was having, much less offered me medication.

My entire scholastic career was a series of half finished projects, rushing to finish things, and tearful pleas for extensions. I'm still flabbergasted that I completed university in a (very) successful manner. That was probably due to copious quantities of Earl Grey caffeinated tea and the fact that I was an "older" student.

When I was finally diagnosed (I was over 30) and given medication, it was such a relief. I didn't feel like such a planning failure any longer and was actually able to get things done, and get to places on time.

I am no longer allowed to use ADD medication (I've since been Dx'd with epilepsy), and I miss it. I do not have a "developing body", and medication is always an individual choice, but personally, my psyche could have been spared a great deal of damage in my youth if my brain chemicals had been lined up better.

JMO

asta

My 9ds is diagnosed ADHD and was on Metidate. We took him off because we didn't feel like we were seeing consistent results and when we tried another drug, he saw purple spiders all night long. We are getting by, but are often frustrated and I worry that it is bad for my son to deal with the frustrations...if he were on meds, how often would his day (and mine) go smoother, making him feel sucessful?

You certianly have to weigh risks and benifits, but I agree that you should not feel the "homeschool pressure" to not medicate. Some school kids are medicated for wrong reasons, but kids with real problems need real solutions. Good luck!