Menu

Spelling Workout ???

4toteach

I'm new to HSing and am trying to figure out my spelling curriculum, among other things. I see that a lot of people use spelling workout. I can't seem to get much of a feel for it even by looking at the samples. Is it pattern base , rule based? It looks similar to most of the other workbooks I'm seeing at Mardell's. What am I missing?

We tried SWO when we were starting out, but it was too random for me. I like having lists built around phonetic rules. We've used Sequential Spelling & liked it, although it was more teacher-intensive than I wanted. We're using Phonetic Zoo now & loving it.

We tried SWO when we were starting out, but it was too random for me.

:iagree:

I didn't think that there was enough teaching of phonics and spelling rules. Dd got 100% every week, but it was because she memorized the spelling words and spelling patterns that the lists were focused on, not because she was learning phonics or spelling.

We love SWO! I have used it since we started homeschooling, five years ago. I like that it teaches words in groups ("ie", plurals, "ch" with "sh). I use R&S for English too, but my girls like SWO because of the pictures and they think it is fun. Anything I can find to encourage my girls to learn is usually what I stick with.

Marsha

I started with Spelling Workout and used it for 1st and part of 2nd grade. My son wasn't retaining anything. We switched to All About Spelling (phonics based). It's helped my son significantly.

The program that'll work best for you will depend on how your children learn. My son could whip through the worksheets but he needed more explicit instruction than the tips that were given with SWO.

Looking at Rainbow Resource under spelling may give you an idea of different programs and their approaches to find what will be the best fit for you.

I've been happy with Spelling Workout for my 1st grader. Both my kids are precocious readers and needed little instruction in this area. My son went to 2 years of PS and by the time he came home for 2nd grade it seemed ridiculous to do spelling with him. He was spelling at 7th or 8th grade level I think (we did open ended achievement testing).

Anyway - my daughter has been homeschooled since K and was reading well but was a reluctant and perfectionistic writer earlier this year. SW has gotten her over that hump. But honestly, I think my kids are natural spellers anyway. SW has been an easy way to get my 6 year old thinking about spelling and doing some additional writing practice, but it might not be perfect for every kid. I especially needed something not parent intensive (got plenty of that kind of thing in other areas!).