Menu

Strongly considering stretching 6th grade out over two years.

NanceXToo

Thanks again for all the feedback all! I'm pretty sure we're going to do it this way.

I wanted to post for anyone who might be interested and let you know that I ended up emailing Oak Meadow directly about this, too. I explained my situation (my daughter's age/grade, her strengths and weaknesses, what I was considering doing and asked for their input on that and so on), and this was the reply I got:

"Hello Nancy,

Thank you for contacting Oak Meadow. I am so delighted to hear about how successful you have been using Oak Meadow materials to homeschool your daughter, and that you are planning to use our Kindergarten for your son!

You have an interesting situation with your daughter's age and maturity level, and I think it is wonderful that you are carefully considering the benefits of allowing her to have an extra year to get more solid in her 6th grade skills before moving on to the more challenging work of 7th grade and beyond. It is an excellent way to customize your daughter's education. You sound very capable of supplementing the material so your daughter will remain challenged and never feel like there isn't enough to do.

Also, taking two years to do the course will give you the time and space to let your daughter backtrack to gain more mastery when lesson assignments introduce concepts or skills that are based on previous knowledge. You will have the latitude to let her immerse herself in the learning and not feel rushed or overwhelmed.

I hope this helps, Nancy, and please keep in mind that while you are using our materials, we are always happy to answer questions that arise.

Best wishes, DeeDee"