Menu

If you used History of Science...

did you still do a separate science program and/or history program?

I've had this complete program for 2 yrs and haven't done it but think it looks great! I WANT to do it.

I was waiting for my DD to be old enough to do it with her older brother and I think this fall would be perfect timing.

My problem is that the older DS starts 7th grade this fall and I feel like I HAVE to get certain science and history sequences started to maintain a schedule through high school.

**I'm editing my post after reading some more posts about this.

I think I'm going to stick with my plan to do a separate history but add some general science to this program. I think DS need a good basic science overview before starting into the other sciences.

Any ideas for a good general science (secular) I could add to History of Science?

Edited by Ann in IA

Nope, but if you find one, let me know. We have tried 4 Apologia books so far from all 3 levels (elementary, middle, and high school) and could not stand them.

We LOVED BF HOS! It's one curriculum I'm hanging onto for my younger DD.

DD actually completed it in a semester after completing A Beka General Science during the previous semester.

We also added Great Scientists in Action for more experiments.

Did you do it every day to complete it in 1 semester? I like the idea of doing it 1 semester and then I could do a full science explorer book (or 2) the next semester.

Honestly, I have to admit I do better with these types of programs over a shorter time period. I'm more likely to complete a program over a semester than the whole year, we seem to slack off with non essentials in the spring :blush:

According to BF books, History of Science is enough science for grades 4 and under.

Have you thought about just adding in Kingfisher Sci Ency? I have a very science-oriented homeschool friend who does this as her standard 7th/8th grade science text. The children read half of Kingfisher in 7th and the other half in 8th. Every single one of the 4 children she has graduated so far are pursuing science degrees. Anyway, it has obviously worked well for them.

Did you do it every day to complete it in 1 semester? I like the idea of doing it 1 semester and then I could do a full science explorer book (or 2) the next semester.

Honestly, I have to admit I do better with these types of programs over a shorter time period. I'm more likely to complete a program over a semester than the whole year, we seem to slack off with non essentials in the spring :blush:

Yes - HOS is 67 lessons so you can complete 3-4 per week for 18 weeks. It might be a bit brisk for your 4th grader, but your 7th grader will have absolutely no problem. Maybe your 4th grader can do the reading with you and then narrate to you rather than answering the questions in the guide? Anyway, it's a great introduction to how science began and has changed over the centuries.