Menu

How can I find out what is going on?

My 13 year old niece is coming to stay with us this summer. She needs remedial help in math and language arts. She has been treated for ADHD for years, but is no longer taking medication. She has been in special classes at school and the only LD they have found is ADHD.

What can I do at home to find out how to help her? Her parent's refuse to do anything because they say she is just lazy, so I can't bring her in for testing.

I have no knowledge of LDs, aside from my son, who is hyperactive and on the Feingold diet.

I'm so grateful you guys are here; I'm really out of my depth on this one...

Thanks,

Carrie

Thanks, one l michele. Mine too.

I don't know how much her ADHD is affecting her now. I know they took her off medication a few years ago. I'm hoping being on the diet with my son will help some. It made a huge difference for him. So much so, that I don't know how to change my teaching style and curriculum choices to help my niece. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think there may be more than ADHD, but I don't know how to determine what. When they test them in public school, what do they look for? Do they only look for pronounced LDs? Or would they catch something more subtle? Should I continue looking or just go with what I know to be part of the problem?

Carrie

My 13 year old niece is coming to stay with us this summer. She needs remedial help in math and language arts. She has been treated for ADHD for years, but is no longer taking medication. She has been in special classes at school and the only LD they have found is ADHD.

What can I do at home to find out how to help her? Her parent's refuse to do anything because they say she is just lazy, so I can't bring her in for testing.

I have no knowledge of LDs, aside from my son, who is hyperactive and on the Feingold diet.

I'm so grateful you guys are here; I'm really out of my depth on this one...

Thanks,

Carrie

I recommend you read The Mislabeld Child. http://www.amazon.com/Mislabeled-Child-Solutions-Childrens-Challenges/dp/1401308996/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1305674285&sr=8-1

Many libraries carry it.

If she's having problems with language arts, I also recommend you be on the lookout for dyslexia. People with dyslexia often have general struggles with language, (but the specifics vary from person to person.) Some math troubles are dyscalcula.

Whatever one calls it, if a child struggles with language art and math, they need extra help in those areas and often different teaching strategies. I don't have a formal diagnosis for my son, but I use methods and materials developed for teaching people with dyslexia.

Have a wonderful summer with your neice!