Menu

MCP Math?

roxanne23

I went to a used curriculum sale this morning and bought the workbook and TM for 1st grade for DD. I know nothing about this program, it was an impulse buy. If you've used it, can you tell me more about it? Did it work for you? Strong/weak points? :bigear:

I have not used MCP, and would not use it as "spine" because it reminds me of the math I had growing up. A lot of memorization of formulas with very little explanation of the underlying concepts. I got very good at calculating the right answer but had no clue *WHY* the algorithms worked. It's only since I've been teaching my kids with Asian- and European-based math programs (Singapore, Math Mammoth, Right Start, and MEP) that the light bulb has finally gone on in my head.

I highly encourage you to read Dr. Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics. It was a real eye-opener as to the importance of teaching the underlying concepts and not just memorizing the procedures.

I would consider using something like MCP as a supplement for a child who needs more practice with certain topics.