Menu

I think I found the perfect art appreciation class for ds!

I've been struggling over what to do for art in high school, specifically the art appreciation/history part. Then I found this new course from The Great Courses. Looks like fun, doesn't it?

I want this to be a half credit class, spread out over the year. I figure one day each week, we watch the lecture, taking notes and briefly discussing, maybe looking at our art encyclopedia (I'm planning to buy http://www.amazon.com/Art-Over-Works-Cave-Contemporary/dp/0756639727/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305349589&sr=8-1). Then ds can spend some time another day looking at art (from the time period we're studying when possible), then write a brief summary on one piece of art, applying the principles he's learning. We can also take a few field trips to art museums and try to apply what he's learning. We'll mostly do technique separately, I think, but maybe sometimes I can have him try to copy something from one of the works, or do his own work to demonstrate a principle.

Sound good? Ds wants to go into graphic design or a similar field, so I think this class will be very helpful for him, as well as interesting.

Wendi