Menu

Why can't he do it? (long)

NoRJDont

My ds is 12 (March b-day) and at the end of 6th grade. He has been hsed since 3rd grade. Part of the reason we pulled him out was because he was so far behind in math.

So now, I have a situation. I don't know how to explain it, but basically, he knows HOW, but he can't DO. He can explain how to get the answer six ways from Sunday, but he can't tell you what the answer is.

For example, this was something we ran into today. (We're using LoF Fractions) The problem was: Express a million feet in miles and feet. (1 mile = 5,280 feet) So he sets up the problem 1,000,000 / 5280. He gets to 5280 goes into 10,000 1 time, puts the 5280 down below (long division) then he CAN'T REMEMBER HOW TO SUBTRACT! I asked him what the problem was, and he explained he knew what he was supposed to do, subtract then bring down, but he was stuck. He knew the answer would be the difference between the two numbers, but he couldn't tell you what that number was. It would have been pretty darn fascinating if it wasn't so totally frustrating. If he knows how to answer, then why can't he do it? Is any of this making any sense? Help please!

~M

No answer here. My 11yo son is exactly like this - especially with long division. I suspect it is because you have to do 3 operations to solve one problem and so your mind keeps having to switch gears. I'm guessing it has something to do with neurological development and no amount of "pushing" will help. Time will be the cure - I hope!

Any ideas anyone? I'd love to know the answer, too:001_smile:.

Kathleen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/lavendersblue

Maybe he is having trouble with place value and borrowing. It might be good to stop and go over these steps a little more in depth but with simple problems. My ds10 was having problems with this also. I stopped and we worked on our white board with markers. I would make up simple 2 digit problems and "walk through" several with him. Then I'd write some on the board and he would do them by himself. Then he started making problems up by himself and solving them. Then I moved up to 3 digit numbers and then 4 digits and went through the same process. It took a couple of weeks but he finally got it concreted and then took off again. I do review it on the white board just to keep it fresh in his mind. I had to find a way that was fun for him but could get the concept across as well. Making up flashcards on 3x5 index cards could also be something you could try.

I also worked on place value with coins. And also the white board. (my kids love using the white board, it doesn't feel like school that way more like play) I would line up the ones then the tens all the while showing them on the kitchen table how the money would exchange from 10 pennies to one dime etc..

HTH

I still write the algorithm or have her write it with symbols:

divide, multiply, subtract, bring down, begin again.

On some days I label it right next to each part of the problem she is working on to keep her momentum going. She's kinda funny because it's not everyday but on occasion that's what it takes.

My 9th grader even writes these as reminders for multiple step algebra and geometry problems.

hmmm, when was the last time he actually did basic subtraction? My dc also hit mind blocks like this occationally. They even forget how to borrow. But a quick review (without me going crazy) and they were on their way.

Other options that I've found helpful:

1. Use graph paper to keep it all lined up or turn notebook paper sideways for columns.

2. Use different color pen/pencils when doing long division. First time dividing use one color for the number on top, the product underneath and the difference, then change color for the next pass thru.

3. Switch from division to repeated subtraction to really understand what is happening. This REALLY helped my dd. So 1,000,000 / 5,280 can be simply done as 1,000,000 minus 5280. Get the difference and minus 5280 again. Keep going till you can't subtract a full 5280. If you didn't get to 0 then that last number is your remainder. Then count the number of TIMES you did the subtraction. That is your main answer.

hth

2. Use different color pen/pencils when doing long division. First time dividing use one color for the number on top, the product underneath and the difference, then change color for the next pass thru.hth

Wow, this is such a cool idea. I never would have thought of it but I am definitely going to try it the next time mine gets stuck.

Thx.

Kathleen in VA

www.homeschoolblogger.com/lavendersblue