Menu

Using Singapore, supplementing with Horizons (reverse of what we've been doing)

momto3innc

My ds is going into 2nd grade. For K we used Horizons K with a lot of manipulatives (I just added in on my own). He did very well and it was very simple for him, so this year we did all of Horizons 1 plus Singapore 1A/1B, the textbooks and the workbooks. It was also a good year but I think next year I want to make Singapore the main deal with Horizons on the side.

Has anyone done this and if so, what did it look like for you? We like Horizons chiefly due to the spiral nature. He LOVES the variety each day...it suits him well. He is severely dyslexic and has some memory retention issues so the spiral suits him extremely well. However, I prefer the methodology of Singapore and the way it makes him think. Since I was just supplementing, I did not use the HIG, Intensive Practice, or the other extra book (can't think of the name). Obviously if it became the main deal, I would use the HIG and probably one of the extra books in addition to the textbooks/workbooks. Then Horizons would bring in extra practice as needed (although we would probably pick and choose).

I guess I'm just wondering if someone else has done this and what it looked like for you-or if it sounds terrible to you:001_smile:. He is very good at math and doing two programs allowed it to take the whole year instead of finishing mid-year and going on to the next grade.

Thanks!

I use Singapore as my main math and Horizons as a supplement. I don't know how well it will work for you (since I don't know much about dyslexia) but we do one lesson of each everyday. We use Horizons as review and apply Singapore methods to the Horizons exercises. I don't line anything up; it usually works out that Horizons is slightly behind the concepts in Singapore. Horizons does include more topics than Singapore (like measuring, solids, etc.) but it's easy enough to teach those on the fly.

I use the TB, WB, HIG, and CWP for Singapore but only the workbooks for Horizons. Using both (plus other supplements) also helps us slow down only doing 1.5 levels this school year instead of 2-3 levels. I do cross out problems liberally once my ds has mastered concepts. For instance, he only has to do 2-3 subtraction, addition, or clock problems but he has to do all of the multiplication problems. Once I'm satisfied with his recall of his multiplication tables, I'll start crossing some of those out. He just got to that point with Roman numerals. He doesn't do any Horizons word problems because they're so easy compared to Singapore's.

It's a great pairing and I plan to continue it with my next ds once he starts PM 1A and Horizons 1.