Menu

How valuable would the kolbe plans & tests be for PH physical science?

I have it and we do use both.

I like the plans, because it lists which exercises to work on and gives you a reasonable amount of work per day.

It also gives you a list of things that the student should be able to discuss after each day. I use that list for conversation starters, to double check comprehension. It states stuff like "After reading secion 4, the student should be able to explain the difference between stuff A and stuff B", so I ask my teen "can you tell me how stuff A and stuff B differ? "

It obviously provides quizzes and tests, and answers.

I'm happy with it, although I don't think it's a necessity. It really depends on your style of homeschooling.

We used the Kolbe PH Physical Science syllabus/lesson plans/quarter exams/answer key last year, and it was very helpful like CleoQc described. We HAD to use it because dd is enrolled in the Kolbe summa program. I remember the quizzes covered chemical abbreviations and some other physics concepts too. I did experience a learning curve just trying to read the lesson plan though (I can be so dense sometimes!) but it was just a matter of getting used to their format. I just need the organization of the lesson plans with high school subjects. I did like that the plan focuses on some of the section and chapter assessment questions, and emphasizes key concepts that your student should take from each section assigned. The answers to the quizzes and quarter exams are included with the lesson plan, but not the answers to the text section and chapter assessment questions. Kolbe sells a separate answer key/online text access for that, but if you have the teacher's edition you don't need the separate Kolbe answer key. I believe Kolbe offers the separate answer key/online text access so that you don't have to purchase a separate teacher's edition of the text. I still used the TE because I was able to find it cheap second hand, and because dd wanted to cover other things that the lesson plan didn't include. Hurrah for curiosity! The Kolbe materials simplified our lives because the material is parcelled out over a four-to-five day week.

Edited by chubbyhugs
added four last sentences