Menu

IEW

I found the TWSS on VHS a couple of years ago & taught 4 classes this past school year using my own sources. The students ranged from 2nd-10th grades. I loved it, and the feedback I received was excellent.

Two of my classes were composed of all girls, and the majority of those students came into the class as willing writers. They have all done very well with it, and I am confident that most of those students will be back for more IEW next year.

It is unlikely that you will be able to spend as little money as I did, but I still think it would be worth it. For 2011-2012 I plan to spend significantly more money, because the returns have been so strong.

Since I have not used the SWIs, I cannot really address the idea that it is more male-oriented. Using the TWSS, I chose sources that I thought my students would appreciate, regardless of whether they were male or female. However, I would say that IEW is an excellent program for reluctant writers. (My dh has been amazed at the papers our dd has written this year, after all the struggles we had in years past). Strong writers can still benefit from the program, especially if the teacher is willing to teach the structure & stylistic techniques and then back off from the requirements to allow them room to find their own style.

Hope that helps!