Menu

Apologia Advanced Chemistry?

Has anyone used Apologia Advanced Chemistry. Any thoughts about it....difficultly? My dd does not need another science credit, but is thinking about taking this...

We're using it now and I highly recommend it if all she's done so far is their Chem 1. Some topics we cover in our mediocre ps in Chem 1 aren't covered in Apologia until Chem 2. To be fair, a bit of Apologia's Chem 1 is not covered in the ps Chem 1. I'm thinking for college prep, both are needed as I'm not certain which curricula is more on track.

Thank you for your response. Is Advanced Chemistry quite a bit more difficult that Chemistry or is it just a continuation of Chemistry? My dd took Physics after Chemistry... is the review in Advanced Chemistry sufficient?

Advanced Chem does not start out with review.

Dr. Wile introduces topics in a different order than many public school texts. It's not bad, just different. For college prep, I highly recommend both books be completed if the student is majoring in anything science related and will be required to take college chem. For the non science student who is not likely to satisfy a gen-ed science requirement with college chem, then the first book would be sufficient with a different science course such as anatomy and physiology - high school level, not college - marine biology, astronomy, etc. being taken to complete high school.

Faith

Advanced Chem does not start out with review.

Dr. Wile introduces topics in a different order than many public school texts. It's not bad, just different. For college prep, I highly recommend both books be completed if the student is majoring in anything science related and will be required to take college chem. For the non science student who is not likely to satisfy a gen-ed science requirement with college chem, then the first book would be sufficient with a different science course such as anatomy and physiology - high school level, not college - marine biology, astronomy, etc. being taken to complete high school.

Faith

:iagree: