Menu

Character Quality Language Arts anyone?

mama26

For those that have used this: What do you like about it? What are it's strengths and weaknesses. I am trying to decide between doing this or Rod and Staff with additional writing.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Try this thread http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22990

I just ordered their "Meaningful Composition" which is just the writing portion of the program. And I ordered the teacher's guide from Rainbow Resources. This is what Rainbow said about the Teacher's Guide:

"I do need to tell you about the Teacher’s Guide. Instead of being associated with any particular level, this book is a guide to the overall program. Its six sections provide How-tos, Grammar & Usage, Outlining &Writing, Editing & Revision, a Unit by Unit (includes a complete scope and sequence), and an Appendix; each section providing specific information on how to approach that particular aspect of the program. The very, very helpful“How To†section includes a program overview, suggestions for program usage, and an extensive set of FAQs. Other sections include reference material(such as Grammar Cards, spelling words practice sheets, etc.) that can be reproduced for use with your family. The CD which accompanies the TG provides a verbal walk-through the program using a sample lesson that is provided at the back of the TG. You could consider this book as an orientation guide to the program. In fact, if you’re considering CQLA you might want to purchase this book first. After spending some time with it you will have a very good idea not only of whether or not this program will work for you but also what levels to place your children in and what to expect. It’s also possible to download a sample month of CQLA at the publisher’s website: www.tfths.com."

We're switching from CQLA to R&S. I wanted to love CQLA, but I just don't. The spelling is weak, the grammar is weak, I think, and, although it's very, very writing intensive (and I do really, really like that), I bought the Pre-A level because my kids needed to work from the ground up in grammar. They're rather behind. In the writing portion, they would have them add parts of speech (adverbs, adjectives, ect.) without explaining first somewhere in grammar what they were, which made it incredibly frustrating. Grammar is not something I teach naturally, I need some serious help explaining it, and CQLA just wasn't fitting the bill. Ironically, everyone I knew who recommended it to me (on another board, not this one at all, this was before I found the Hive) is now switching to another program as well. :glare: Sort of wish they had told me they'd only been using it 2 weeks at the time.

I will be keeping copies of the Checklist Challenge, though. I think I'm going to laminate a set for each child, and put them in with their writing assignments. I do think that's a wonderful tool to have.

We're switching from CQLA to R&S. I wanted to love CQLA, but I just don't. The spelling is weak, the grammar is weak, I think, and, although it's very, very writing intensive (and I do really, really like that), I bought the Pre-A level because my kids needed to work from the ground up in grammar. They're rather behind. In the writing portion, they would have them add parts of speech (adverbs, adjectives, ect.) without explaining first somewhere in grammar what they were, which made it incredibly frustrating. Grammar is not something I teach naturally, I need some serious help explaining it, and CQLA just wasn't fitting the bill. Ironically, everyone I knew who recommended it to me (on another board, not this one at all, this was before I found the Hive) is now switching to another program as well. :glare: .

:iagree: I tried this for a little over a year with my dc. We used the first and second levels and found it to be super easy in spelling, weak in grammar, especially explanations .Not for use with a visual learner or teacher. It's strengths are writing and editing punctuation. The writing checklist is similar to IEW which we are now using.

I would not use this again.:001_smile: