Menu

? about science courses and college

Dd will take three high school science courses, including biology and chemistry (both labs). For her third class, she'd like to take a neurobiology course. Is that different enough on her transcript to satisfy a college requirement of three science credits?

(Fwiw, the neuro won't be a lab, and she would not plan on taking any other science.)

Thanks!

Dd will take three high school science courses, including biology and chemistry (both labs). For her third class, she'd like to take a neurobiology course. Is that different enough on her transcript to satisfy a college requirement of three science credits?

(Fwiw, the neuro won't be a lab, and she would not plan on taking any other science.)

Thanks!

Which (types of) colleges and what's her planned major?

My first thought is if she's not planning on a science major nor a highly selective college is that it would be fine. If she is planning on a science major or a highly selective college I suspect 4 science credits would be better.

Which (types of) colleges and what's her planned major?

My first thought is if she's not planning on a science major nor a highly selective college is that it would be fine. If she is planning on a science major or a highly selective college I suspect 4 science credits would be better.

She's looking at International Relations, cultural/foreign language related. In looking at the schools where she'll likely be going (state schools, some more selective than others), the max requirement is three science credits.

Is neurobiology too close to biology? Would it negate the neurobiology credit and make it look more like an elective?

She's looking at International Relations, cultural/foreign language related. In looking at the schools where she'll likely be going (state schools, some more selective than others), the max requirement is three science credits.

Is neurobiology too close to biology? Would it negate the neurobiology credit and make it look more like an elective?

I assume you mean the MIN requirement is three science credits (I've yet to see a school with a max requirement) ;). My comment on the 4 credits is due to selectivity. Pretty much all schools have a minimum requirement of 3 science credits, but students who actually get admitted to the very selective schools, esp in the sciences, tend to have 4 or more credits. When looking at a less selective colleges and/or different majors colleges are less "picky" about science credits.

Neurobiology shouldn't be too close to biology. I suspect they'll see it as an extension like Marine Biology or Microbiology, both of which are also acceptable as science credits.