Menu

Best Latin-English dictionary?

My DH does more work with Latin than I do, but he basically uses Bantam New College dictionaries until they fall apart. I pick them up at used book sales whenever I see them :)

We also have a Lewis and Short dictionary, which I think is now sold as Latin Dictionary Founded on Andrews' Edition of Freund's Dictionary; it is, however, a bigger investment that you might not need at her level. My understanding is the classicists tend to use the Oxford Latin Dictionary more (there are a number of Oxford ones, but the one I'm referring to is the $329 one on Amazon), while medievalists and Renaissance scholars have more use for Lewis and Short (my DH is a Renaissance guy). Lewis and Short is also available online.

A third mention of the same book ....

The Bantam New College Latin & English Dictionary, Revised Edition by John Traupman was recommended by my daughter's out of the home Latin instructor. My daughter has continued to use it now that she's in college majoring in Latin/the Classics. The print is legible and the book is a standard paperback size. It's reasonably priced too at about $6.00.

Regards,

Kareni