Menu

How to implement "Tools of the Mind" in homeschool setting

grace'smom

Has anyone here read Nurtureshock? I know someone has because I got the recommendation for the book on here, LOL. I was wondering if anyone has tried to implement the "Tools of the Mind" techniques described in the chapter on helping your child grow better self control? I'm trying to think of ways the method could be used at home with an only child...

Thanks!

Hailey

• 6 months later...

I'm still reading the book now, but it seems to me that most of the things described in Tools of the Mind are things that occur more naturally in homeschooling.

Just before their bedtime, our 3 kids put on a whole play re-enactment of Tangled for dh and I. There was singing, it was choreographed, the 3yo played Flynn and played it with gusto. For the record, they've only seen the film maybe 3 times and the last time was on a road trip 5mo ago.

I think with an only child you might need to act as their playmate more, but otherwise the same. Reading it, it just seemed to be a more child-lead, child-centric model with structured imaginary play with teaching that is more responsive to the child. ALl those things are more easily accommodated homeschooling. Maybe I'm missing something.

BTW, I really love the book Brain rules for babies.

I agree with the PP, that some of the core parts of their program happens naturally for homeschoolers. At least it does for mine. If you look at their website they highlight the importance of pretend play for long periods of time... this is not something I have to program into our day. We do a 3-5 hour park day once a week and the kids spend a lot of the time in pretend play. Also, we have very long chunks of time each week with other homeschool friends and the girls pretend almost constantly. And when we're in a Harry Potter season, Sweetie will pull me in and we'll be at Hogwarts for almost all of our waking hours.

I have been considering doing the goal-setting part with my kids. I think it could be very valuable to have them write down or draw their plan for the next hour, and then hold them to their goals. I haven't quite gotten my head around that yet, but I'm slowly making my way through the "Tools of the Mind" book seeing if I can glean any extra ideas and information.

I'd love to hear what you've come up with too. It's an amazing-sounding program, isn't it?

:)