Menu

BJU Science users ? Lab kits?

Where do you get Lab Kits for the 3rd edition of Physical Science? I have the Homesat Discs/Books for the older versions. Am I gonna run into this problem for every High School class?

Should I just swap over to Apologia Biology 1 since Apologia Physical Science is a repeat of BJU Earth & Space 8th grade?

DD wants to continue with BJU but I don't know how I will do labs without a kit. The thoughts of trying to find all that stuff on my own makes my head spin. Not to mention if we can even *do* the experiments. They look much more complicated than the Apologia ones.

Thx!

Barb who has 3 more dc to use something with

This is a kit a lot of people purchase: http://www.hometrainingtools.com/physical-science-9-kit/p/BJ-KIT09/

I remember buying lab supplies for my middle ds's BJU Chemistry and Physics labs. Goodness!!! It was quite expensive. BUT, many of the items you buy now will be used again in future labs. I, thankfully, have many of these items already from my middle ds's BJU Chemistry/Physics labs. But, having said that, I do need to sit down and go through everything I own to see what I may be missing....such as litmus paper.

Also, if you have the BJU material's list, it shows you what labs each item is used for. I, personally, would not purchase an expensive (or optional) item for something only used in one lab. I would just watch that particular lab. Some items are worth buying now though, for example, if you buy your triple beam balance now, you'll have it for years...and many labs...to come. ;) (SO GLAD I don't have to purchase those big expensive items again)

As for going to Apologia Biology, that is up to you...but my middle son found BJU Science far superior to Apologia. He disliked Apologia's Biology with a passion and wished he had gone with BJU for Biology instead.

[ETA I meant to add that I didn't purchase the above kits for any of our BJU Sciences. I would just go by the materials list and order it all through NASCO http://www.eNASCO.com]

Edited by Melissa in CA

The labs supplies for Apologia are much more affordable. I haven't needed to order many from the science supply, I have been able to use what we have around, or pick them up at a hardware store, WalMart, etc.

If you do BJU, don't order the supplies needed in the last third of the text, you may not get that far!

I have used a number of BJU sciences with labs (Life Science, Space/Earth, Physical Science, Biology, & Physics). I have purchased most of my supplies through Home Training Tools -- they have kits for BJU Sciences, but I only purchase what I need. However their kit order form is really helpful as it lists everything that is in the kit, which lab it is used in, etc. I usually go through the list and check off what we have and just order what we need.

Here is a link to the page for the Physical Science kit, half way down the page you should see 'kit order form' http://www.hometrainingtools.com/physical-science-9-kit/p/BJ-KIT09/ If a lab is too difficult to do at home it will not either not list any items for that lab or it will recommend optional items to do the same thing.

Also for BJU Physical Science there is a DVD you can order that is just the labs.

Yvonne in NE

In looking through my BJU Lab Manual, and the scheduled labs listed in the Facilitators handbook (I am also using the older 3rd ed w/DVDs) not every lab is listed. So, I am assuming that the teacher does not assign each and every lab. Whereas the Home Training Tools lab kits include items for each and every 'do-able' lab...even those not schedule in the DVD class.

I think it would behoove you (aka save you $) to print out the order form from Home Training Tools and compare it to your actual materials list, then just buy what YOU are going to use with the DVD teacher next year. This is what I plan to do. Also, several of the labs in the manual state that they are "Teacher Demonstrations". These demonstrations have lab write-ups/questions following. Only the actual labs performed by the students are listed in the materials list.

Ugh. I'm actually glad you brought all this up. I am needing to get my act together for next year and get my lab materials ordered and organized. I went through what I have, and though I do have a lot, there are several items I, too, will need to purchase. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and be careful with the Home Training Tools order form as it is for the 4th edition books and lists the labs for that edition. It doesn't look like a lot of labs have changed...you'll still need a lot of the same materials...but when they are completed (meaning chapter, lesson #) is different than in the 3rd ed. Clear as mud? :D

as mud! I just looked thru the Facilitator Packet a few minutes ago and saw a list of necessary items. I'm noticing now that the Student Manual itself is not sold by BJU now. I did find multiple copies though @ Textbooks.com:)

THANKS for helping me out!!!

Barb