Menu

High Academics, Co-op Setting

Hey There,

So, I am starting a co-op and happy about that, but reading about the school in NY and such, makes me want a high academic co-op. I really want to be WITH my child, but would be happy to have "Masters" in some subjects.

I read about a co-op where they all gather 4 or 5 days a week and separate the children out into levels. They go through the different subjects, with different levels being offered.

I have NO desire to "rid" myself of my son for the day, but would love to have a place where cooperatively we could "do school" for the day... and then go home, hopefully without too much "homework". I would think that it could be done for the cost of the facility and insurance and ...supplies.

Has anyone heard of a school like this? Kinda a "cottage school" type thing? Or perhaps someone else has a better term for it. My son is good in Math and I'm going to guess Science.

He's in 3rd grade and I am just trying to wrap my head around what a "rigorous education" is going to mean for him.

Any Thoughts out in the WTMForum World?? :bigear:

There is a 'classical cottage' academy about an hour's drive from me -- we did not even try to register for the '11-12 school year -- it is such a hassle to try and get THREE seats for three children.

here is their website:

http://www.classicalcottageschool.org/

The Director of the co-op that we joined this year and I are going to sit and discuss implementing a format similar to classical cottage. As the kids in the co-op are getting older (many will be 7th grade) I have been clear that my children and I cannot stay in the co-op if it is not going to take a more academic turn. There are some moms in the co-op who disagree with me, but interestingly, they are the moms who had decided months ago that their kids would be going to ps in the fall. There are a fair number of moms who agree with me and who have also said they will be 'out of there' if the focus doesn't become academic. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens.

Wow!! Thanks Marian! Lots of information to sift through on that site; I have no doubt that I can prepare my son equally well to what Public school can do. BUT, that has never been my goal for him. I have this precious child who I am just trying to figure out realistic goals for, and have him for 10 more years to help him choose the path that his educational road will be on... It's hard to figure out now... how I'll help him from "here to there" :) CCS sounds like a LCC path...

:)

Wow!! Thanks Marian! Lots of information to sift through on that site; I have no doubt that I can prepare my son equally well to what Public school can do. BUT, that has never been my goal for him. I have this precious child who I am just trying to figure out realistic goals for, and have him for 10 more years to help him choose the path that his educational road will be on... It's hard to figure out now... how I'll help him from "here to there" :) CCS sounds like a LCC path...

:)

Enjoy -- I hear you -- I have dd12 for a little while longer, and the twins, well, I'd like to drive them up the road and enroll them in PS today, but I am not going to do that -- as much as I would like to.

I am pouring over CCS now that the mayhem and hysteria of registration are finished, some courses are closed, and I think I might at least be able to make up a schedule for dd12 - which would make me very happy.

CCS is a commitment - but it is one that I am so leaning towards. sigh