Menu

Questions re: Campbell's "Exploring Life"

Hello Again,

After reading some of the links Kareni shared in my other thread (re: WTM's rec's for Biology), I'm not feeling very confident about the Self Teaching Guide.

I wanted to ask specifically about Campbell's "Exploring Life." There seem to be several editions (as in copyright year, rather than Campbell's other titles), not to mention a CD companion, and other supplements (namely the lab manual and the Teacher's Guide). Please bear with me as I rattle off my numerous questions!

*Which edition should I be on the lookout for? I don't want to just assume that the latest is the best, as I know that this isn't always the case.

*Also, what will I definitely need? I'm assuming most used copies won't come packaged with the CD. Would the CD work with the different editions of the book, or is there a CD that correlates with each new edition?

*If I plan on purchasing a lab kit elsewhere, how important is it that I purchase the lab manual that comes with the book?

*Also, in your opinion, is the TG worth it, or is it just a copy of the student text with helps that are more applicable to a classroom situation?

*And regarding lab kits...which would work best with this curriculum--Labpaq, or the one available via Quality Science Labs?

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance for any help!

Patty

Edited by Tutu

We used the most recent edition with the CD this year. I did not get the teaching manual and did not end up using the lab manual. I think the lab manual labs would be pretty hard to do at home. We did not try though, so I could be mistaken there. We do labs with another family that uses Apologia, so we just did those labs and supplemented with a few others I found online.

That said, I do have an undergrad degree in Biology, so I was not really worried about being able to teach it at a high school level.

Thanks so much for your reply!

I hold a degree in English, and I don't feel in my element when teaching maths and sciences, although I have managed to keep up and learn along-side my children so far. Do you suppose the Teacher's Manual would help someone like me? Is it a text you can just pick up and read, plugging away at it until done, or are there several assignments and questions for which I could use an answer guide of some sort!

Again, thank you for your response!

Patty

I would use the latest edition as there are a few changes in terminology in the past decade.

I did get the companion with my used book. It has activities that reinforce the chapter and is worthwhile IMO.

I did use the TM, as it has the answers to the end of the chapter ?s and the chapter review which we used as tests.

I wish I would've got the student guided reading book (a workbook type book).

Thanks, Michelle!

Where did you purchase your books/CD companion? Would I have to purchase the TM direct from the publisher?

I noticed from your sigline that you are using DIVE lab CDs. Does this substitute for the lab portion, or do you still have to do labs such as the ones through Labpaq and Quality Science Labs? (This would be for a child not interested in majoring in science).

Again, thank you!

Patty