Menu

Reading List for 10th Grade (Medieval/Early Renaissance)

In 9th grade we read too many books from TWTM's reading list. (I try to read ahead of my daughter so we can discuss the books.) I think for next year I would rather have us read fewer books and spend more time discussing them. Would someone recommend six to eight books from TWTM's list of Medieval/Early Renaissance (10th grade) great books (pp. 519-521 in latest edition). My daughter is 15, loves history (especially archaeology), and is very sensitive to violence (especially fire).

If you have recommendations for study guides, I would appreciate that information as well.

Thank you,

Gnann

We have DSs who don't mind the swords and battling (lol), and I don't have the WTM to look at that specific list, but if it is similar to Susan Wise-Bauer's list on her webpage "The Great Books: History as Literature" here on this website, then below I have listed works we enjoyed, and I added comments to help guide you towards whether it's workable for your DD or not. BEST of luck in your Medieval adventures! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

- Beowulf (Heaney translation)

Greatly enjoyed. Epic written in poetic meter, so the battles between Beowulf and Grendal, Grendal's mother, and the dragon feel much more removed and poetic rather than graphic and immediate. We used The Great Books guide -- more of a Christian worldview guided discussion, not so much a literature guide -- one of the best of The Great Books guides we've used. Also skimmed the Sparknotes free online guide.

- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Tolkien translation)

Greatly enjoyed. The violence in this work: Gawain and the Green Knight strike a bargain, Gawain gets the first "turn" and swipes off the Green Knight's head, who picks it up and then in a year it will be Gawain's turn -- this seemed like the "violence" of a typical fairy tale -- thematic, not graphic. The violence is very minimal -- more about temptation and honor. Skimmed the Sparknotes free online guide.

- Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien short story)

A family favorite. Tongue in cheek story, set in medieval England, with a farmer who bests both a dragon and a king. Lots of humorous Latin words and place names and meanings.

- Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)

A family favorite. A modern fantasy epic, but with cultures that draw heavily on Beowulf-like culture (the people of Rohan), and King Arthur and high courtly honor and customs (the people of Gondor), and medieval gentle peasantry (the Shire). The violence: there are battles, but they are a short (just a few pages out of the 3 novels). So many high and noble and worthwhile themes to explore in these books!! Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings -- a fabulous year-long study to go along with these works (also has some analysis and guided material for Beowulf; Sir Gawain and the Green Knight; poetry by Tolkien; and King Arthur literature).

- Canterbury Tales

1. The Nun's Priest Tale -- Chauntecleer the Rooster almost taken by the Fox, but out-foxes the Fox

2. The Pardoner's Tale -- 3 men go looking for Death

No graphic or realistic violence -- both feel like a fable or a fairy tale. No guide.

- The Sword in the Stone (White)

First of the four novellas that make the entire work of The Once and Future King; focuses on King Arthur as the boy "Wart" and Merlin's educating of him -- no violence or fire that I recall. The next three sections follow Arthur as an adult/king -- the infidelity of Lancelot and Guinevere and how it wrecks Arthur's vision of creating a perfect kingdom, Camelot: some violence -- jousting, some battling, and Lancelot defending Guinevere's honor. No guide.

- Macbeth

Greatly enjoyed. Violence in this work: main character is killed off-stage, but his bloody ghost appears (only to Macbeth) accusing him and pricking his guilty conscience, and Lady Macbeth who goaded him on goes crazy thinking she sees blood on her hands that she can't wash off -- thematic blood, not for graphic effect. We used the Parallel Shakespeare student workbook and teacher guide; very helpful. Also VERY helpful is "Brightest Heaven of Invention: Christian Guide to Six Shakespeare Plays".

- Hamlet

Greatly enjoyed. Violence in this work: Hamlet's father was murdered by his brother who then married his brother's wife -- kind of icky incest-like, BUT the point of the play is that sin is punished; a sword fight in the last scene finishes with almost everyone dead -- but not graphically written at all. VERY helpful is "Brightest Heaven of Invention: Christian Guide to Six Shakespeare Plays".

- A Midsummer Night’s Dream; Taming of the Shrew; Much Ado About Nothing

Greatly enjoyed just watching these. Comedies; no violence. VERY helpful is "Brightest Heaven of Invention: Christian Guide to Six Shakespeare Plays".

Edited by Lori D.