Menu

How do you consolidate vitamin/mineral herb supplement?

I am researching about women's multiple vitamin/herb supplement (especially for premenopause with mild hot flashes and mood swings).

I don't want to take too many kinds. Some supplements have high content of Vit. B complex like Now Foods Eve: A Superior Woman's multiple. It also has iodine 150%. So I think if I take this, I would not need to take thyroid supplement or B complex. So my plan for now is

Now Foods Eve: A superior Woman's multiple

Carlson's fish oil

D3

Does this sound good? Should I have calcium supplement if I don't drink cow's milk (I will drink soy milk instead)?

What woman's multiple do you take?

premenopause with mild hot flashes and mood swings)

Now Foods Eve: A superior Woman's multiple

Carlson's fish oil

D3

Does this sound good? Should I have calcium supplement if I don't drink cow's milk (I will drink soy milk instead)?

What woman's multiple do you take?

Sounds good to me.

There are specific supplements for hot flashes and mood swings. Also, other tips - diet, lifestyle, etc. If you're interested, I can copy and paste the info I have.

Make sure to take your D3 with a fat-containing meal to maximize absorption.

Calcium -

Take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium.

For most people on a healthy diet, 500 mg of each supplement should be enough. But most people need more magnesium. Most of us are magnesium-deficient. You’ll get more calcium and magnesium in your diet from whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, and dark green leafy vegetables.

I think there is a very big difference not only in the brand but the type of calcium you use.

The major types of calcium are: Carbonate, Citrate and Bone Meal.

1. Calcium carbonate (also found in coral calcium) is the hardest calcium compound for the human body to break down and absorb. You’ll find it in a lot of supplements because it’s inexpensive. The Carbonate (like Tums) is basically like taking chalk board chalk. It may alkalize your body, but it does almost nothing for your bones.

2. Calcium citrate is slightly better than calcium carbonate, since minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used. It is a little bit more bio-available, but still not the best.

3. Bone Meal is the best source for bones and has one of the highest bio-availabilities. Just make sure it's from a clean source, and the animals it came from weren't given hormones or antibiotics. KAL from New Zealand is good and I get it from vitacost or amazon.

4. You can also get an herbal calcium source that is also bio-available and easily absorbed.

Magnesium - this is one you did not list and to me, is even more, far more, important than calcium.

I have a long word document on magnesium - benefits, natural dietary sources, etc. For now, I'll just include this. Let me know if you need more info.

For most people on a healthy diet, 400 mg of Magnesium daily should be sufficient. But for those who have symptoms of deficiency (as previously listed), I would recommend more, but probably no more than 1200 mg. Add in more magnesium gradually. Your body knows how much it can handle according to how much your bowels can tolerate. The stools should feel soft, but not excessively loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

I have read that it’s preferable to not take magnesium at the same time as calcium. Others say that it’s fine. This is where I am confused. I think the former makes more sense.

The most absorbable forms are:

Magnesium Citrate

Magnesium Glycinate

Magnesium Taurate

Magnesium Aspartate

Magnesium Malate

Magnesium Succinate

Magnesium Fumirate

Avoid:

Magnesium Oxide

Magnesium Carbonate

Magnesium Gluconate

Magnesium Sulfate

These are not absorbed well and are the cheapest forms

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to Magnesium Glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.