Menu

Camping Recommendations for Western North Carolina?

I figured that someone here has some advice on this.

We are wanting to go camping in Western North Carolina, in the Bryson City area. Our primary goal is to go whitewater rafting with DS, who will be 13 and able to go on the faster rapids finally!

I am looking for a good camp ground in that area, I guess not to far from Natahala. It can be a federal or state park, or a commercial campground, but should be on water, either creek or lake.

We will be tent camping.

I have found a few camp grounds, commercial, but just wondering if any one has any recommendations.

Also, recommendations on a good whitewater company to use?

thxs!

Our family has used Nantahala Outdoor Center for rafting. They have been around a LONG time and are reputable.

Look at Deep Creek Campground for camping. It is right on the edge of the National Park and very near Bryson City. I love, love to camp there. They are on a creek that is well-known for tubing. They rent tubes around there for about $2.00 a day. The tubing run is just fast enough to be fun, but not really dangerous. Our kids have loved it since they were about 5yo, but they are all really good swimmers. I wouldn't take a child younger than that.

Have fun!