Menu

Reading

My 5.5yo dd is in an ABeka school for this year and she has read all the K4 materials. She finished the basic reading by Christmas and now she has read everything that is supplemental. Her teacher asked if I would send her Barbie computer for her to play reading games since she is reading Dick and Jane now. I also volunteered to send some of her K5 reading material since I already have my stuff for fall. What else should I do and what can a add to my home school supplies to keep her challenged because at this rate she will be through with all of K5 by the end of this year? I really don't want her to skip a grade either or to do K5 and 1st in one year and I now have no doubt that she could.

Library books. Lots of them. :)

Are you planning to homeschool K5 or still send her to this school? If you send her to school, you'll just have to keep in touch with the teacher a lot and accept the fact that she's going to have some boring times in school.

My son was reading at grade level 2.5 when he went to private K. He still had fun at school, but he wasn't challenged at all, and the first semester when they were going over letter sounds and CVC words, he did get in trouble a bit for talking. Second semester went better, as the rest of the class started reading, and maturity helped too. :tongue_smilie:

Next child won't be going to school for K, since now I know what a waste of money it would be for us. At home, we can do reading at whatever level he's at. I still call them the grade level they'd be in school, but they work at whatever level they are at in each individual subject.

Library books. Lots of them. :)

Are you planning to homeschool K5 or still send her to this school? If you send her to school, you'll just have to keep in touch with the teacher a lot and accept the fact that she's going to have some boring times in school.

She's coming home. We have had issues with school and my oldest dd. She is being bullied and it is being ignored. Actually lots of kids are bullied here and the only time it gets addressed is when the bullied kid fights back and then both kids get punished. I'm sick of it and I'm sick of passive agressive teachers. She would have been in an ABeka K5 too but I know that she would be bored and I am also 75% certain that she has add and a bored child with add is a disaster.

My son was reading at grade level 2.5 when he went to private K. He still had fun at school, but he wasn't challenged at all, and the first semester when they were going over letter sounds and CVC words, he did get in trouble a bit for talking. Second semester went better, as the rest of the class started reading, and maturity helped too. :tongue_smilie:

Next child won't be going to school for K, since now I know what a waste of money it would be for us. At home, we can do reading at whatever level he's at. I still call them the grade level they'd be in school, but they work at whatever level they are at in each individual subject.

I had hoped I could do this but I wasn't sure so if I can do this we won't have a problem I'll just have a very well educated kid and I like that.

On another note maybe I can fill in the holes in my education since I went to 5 different elementary schools.