Menu

Help, Saxon Math users.

I used Saxon 1 for my 5yo dd (kindergarten) this year. Way back when I started homeschooling, I read that someone (Saxon himself, maybe?) suggested that homeschoolers and Christian schools use the book level one grade ahead of the child. Does anyone else do this?

Here's my dilemma. Dd did pretty well with most of the program this year, although she did take a little longer to absorb some of the concepts. We basically did everything one-on-one, orally. I did not require her to do everything on every worksheet. What I am wondering is this: should I redo level 1 with her next year, or should I move on to level 2? Saxon "spirals" so much; I know that many of the same concepts will be covered again in level 2, but I also know that more ideas will be introduced, and not as much time will be devoted to learning the "old" concepts.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do?

Interesting note: My 8yo ds is the only child so far who flew through level 1 in kindergarten. I chose to have older dd repeat level 1 just to make sure she was getting it. But I'm wondering whether or not I should do it differently this time around.

My dd did the Saxon 1 when she was 5. She flew through it. I would guess that it could get rather repetitive to go through it again! Try the next level and see how she does. There'll be a good deal of review in the beginning, so she should be able to ease into it OK!

First, of all, don't feel compelled to have your dd one level ahead because VP or anyone else recommends it. Many kids skip 8/7 or Alg. 1/2, so that if your dd stays on grade level with Saxon and ends up skipping one of these later, she'd still start Alg. 1 in 8th grade. My oldest was way ahead, but ended up camping out in the Algebras for a couple of years.

I've used Saxon with 5 of my dc so far. While most of them worked ahead one grade level, my just-turned 9-yo is on grade level. I'm fine with that. I can tell from our teaching that he's right where he needs to be. I am planning on another summer of math games which really seems to help his intuitive math sense.

I think I would recommend to move forward with Saxon 2, knowing that it starts at the very beginning with lots of review. Don't rush through. Supplement with math games, Cuisenaire rods, manipulatives, the abacus, grocery store math and other activities that will stretch and fill out what she's learning in Saxon. If she makes it through 1/2 of Saxon 2, fine. The beauty of homeschooling is that you do not have to move lockstep through a curriculum. In 2nd grade, pick up the rest of Saxon 2 (if need be) and continue on with Saxon 3. Skip lessons that are completely unnecessary review and camp out on lessons that need extra practice.

Hope some of this helps. Long day and I'm ready for our own summer break!:tongue_smilie:

Lisa